WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

anyone used a Sigma 12-24?

Old 19-05-09, 22:44
Super Moderator

Default anyone used a Sigma 12-24?

I have a bit of a fancy for a Sigma 12-24 lens, my widest lens at the moment is 17-40 which is wide enough most of the time but I fancy going really wide. I've read some really good thing about the images that come out of the lens but was wondering about other factors like the focus and the build. If I do go for one I'd have to sell the 17-40 to fund it so don't want to jump unless I'm sure. I'm hoping to get to a shop and have a play with one and take some shop to compare the two but would keen to hear from anyone who's lived with this lens. I may also have a play with the Sigma 15mm fisheye...
Old 20-05-09, 00:11
Super Moderator

I had a look at one of these after I'd sold my 17-85 & bought a 24-105 to extend the wide end in my kit bag. You need to get to a shop to have a play because its a very heavy bit of glass and the front element sticks out miles.

In the end I went for the Canon 10-22 - the difference between 12 mm & 10 mm is significant and at the widest setting this lens is ludicrous fun. A couple of the guys in my camera club have the sigma 10-20 and enthuse about it - I think the Canon has a slight edge but then its quite a bit more expensive
Old 20-05-09, 00:34
Super Moderator

I've used the Sigma 10-20 and it is good fun but I want a lens that I can use on full frame as well as a crop body. 17mm on FF is quite wide, but I guess 12mm will be something else I'll have to try to get to a shop tomorrow and have a play.
Old 20-05-09, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
[on full frame] I guess 12mm will be something else
Peter's understatement of the week. You'd better see about having your feet shortened, or at least make sure you polish your shoes regularly/paint your toenails tastefully/don't wear woolly socks with sandals* because they are likely to appear in a lot of shots.

*Delete as appropriate.

Duncan
Old 20-05-09, 09:13
Super Moderator

I've been reading the specs of some of these lenses, apparently the 10-20 gives a 102 degree diagonal FOV on a crop body while the Canon 17-40 gives 104 on full frame so I've already got a fairly wide lens. However the 12-24 would give me a massive 122 degree FOV, that really would alter how you look at life. I was planning on heading over to try one this morning but now have other stuff that needs doing, hopefully later in the week...
Old 20-05-09, 10:28
Super Moderator

I have the Tokina 12-24 its a cracking lens its built like a tank, if you do a check online at reviews it slightly out performs the sigma.
A sample taken with the tokina there is a few in my Gallery some of at Jodrell Bank.
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...0103090058.jpg
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...202090003a.jpg
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 20-05-09, 10:56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I have the Tokina 12-24 its a cracking lens its built like a tank, if you do a check online at reviews it slightly out performs the sigma.
It looks like a nice lens (nice photos btw) but like the Sigma 10-20 and the Canon 10-22 it will only work on a crop body. I can get about that wide using a 17mm on a full frame but am toying with trying something extra wide from what I can see the Sigma is the only way to do that without going fisheye.
Old 22-05-09, 10:00
Super Moderator

Well I went to the shop to have a play with this lens, but had failed to check that they had it in for Canon... and they didn't, only Nikon! So instead I had a play with a fisheye, attached are two shots taken from the shop doorway, one with my 17mm and one with a 15mm fisheye. I do like the 15mm one lots of fun however I still want to try the 12-24 as I think that would be of more use to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shops17mm.jpg (150.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg shops15mmfisheye.jpg (169.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 22-05-09, 10:41

Hi Peter, I have the 12-24 Sigma and here is an un-cropped shot from the lens. I love this lens , this was on the D3 and according to the EXIF it was set at 12 mm. Word of warning, be careful about getting ladies rears in the shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD3_0391.jpg (156.4 KB, 39 views)

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 22-05-09 at 10:43.
Old 15-09-09, 14:47
Super Moderator

Having not given this any thought for a while I have just found out that Jessops have reduced this lens down as part of their Sigma clear out. If you can find somewhere with stock they have both Nikon and Canon versions for £399. I have reserved one at a localish branch and should get to try it tomorrow afternoon.