WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Portrait Lens

Old 22-10-09, 20:00

Question Portrait Lens

I am looking at getting a new Portrait lens for my Canon 400D.
Does any fellow forum member have any suggestions what i should go for?

BTW my current setup includes 3 studio lights so will be using the camera in an indoors studio.

Any help would be gratfully received!

Craig
Old 22-10-09, 20:02
Super Moderator

the big question is what's your budget?
Old 22-10-09, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
the big question is what's your budget?
Well i dont want to spend a fortune thats for sure lol just a reasonably good lens that wont break the bank. Not really sure though what i should be looking for?

Craig
Old 22-10-09, 20:14
Super Moderator

There are loads of decent portrait lenses out there it just comes down to what suits your style and budget. Ideally you want a fast lens (small f number) as this will allow you to blur background nicely. The cheapest option that will give good results is the Canon 50 f1.8 (often referred to as the nifty fifty) and ~£80 it is one of the best value lenses around. But it's a fixed focal length which may or may not suit. My main portrait lens is an old Canon 28-70 f2.8 (now replaced with the 24-70 f2.8), it's a lovely lens but is big, heavy and expensive. Sigma and Tamron both make lenses of a similar spec which are a deal cheaper but I have no personal expereince so can't comment on the quality.
Old 22-10-09, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
There are loads of decent portrait lenses out there it just comes down to what suits your style and budget. Ideally you want a fast lens (small f number) as this will allow you to blur background nicely. The cheapest option that will give good results is the Canon 50 f1.8 (often referred to as the nifty fifty) and ~£80 it is one of the best value lenses around. But it's a fixed focal length which may or may not suit. My main portrait lens is an old Canon 28-70 f2.8 (now replaced with the 24-70 f2.8), it's a lovely lens but is big, heavy and expensive. Sigma and Tamron both make lenses of a similar spec which are a deal cheaper but I have no personal expereince so can't comment on the quality.
Thank you very very much for your reccomendations, ill go straight away and have a look online and see the lens you have suggested.

Thank you again that has helped loads!

Craig
Old 23-10-09, 15:50

Craig, the other question I would ask is how much space you will have for doing your portraits, and what style of portraits (full length, head/shoulders, tight crop, etc.) you are planning on shooting?

If you're using a small space, and want to do full length standing shots, then you'll be very restricted on what you can use.
Old 24-10-09, 18:27

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
Craig, the other question I would ask is how much space you will have for doing your portraits, and what style of portraits (full length, head/shoulders, tight crop, etc.) you are planning on shooting?

If you're using a small space, and want to do full length standing shots, then you'll be very restricted on what you can use.
Well i will be shooting them in i would imagine quite confined spaces as it will be in living rooms or so to speak. it would be mainly head and shoulders that sort of thing.
i would really appreciate any assistance in my choice of lens for this sort of photography.

Craig
Old 24-10-09, 19:00

If you're only going to be doing head/shoulders stuff, then something in the region of 50-70mm should be fine.
Old 24-10-09, 19:01

If you try portrait shots now with your "kit" lens do you end up using the 50-55mm end most of the time and find that suits your needs? If so then the 50mm 1.8 would meet your needs admirably, if not what is your inclination of what you need? Wider? Longer? The answer to that should guide you to what you need. My guess is that in the conditions you talk about the 50mm 1.8 is the one to go for, it feels rather light weight but is very sharp and has the f1.8 for narrow DOF when needed.
Old 24-10-09, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoll View Post
has the f1.8 for narrow DOF when needed.
f/1.8 at the kind of ranges in use in a small living room will give an exceptionally short DoF, probably too short, unless you want the sitter's nose to be out of focus. Or, more likely, the nose in focus and the eyes out of focus. Not a good proposition.....