WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Tripod Selection for Bird Photography

Old 04-01-06, 21:31

Default Tripod Selection for Bird Photography

I am currently looking for a ball head type tripod, that will support 7 lbs or more and is less than $100 (USD), that is of good quality. Any suggestions for a tripod for this type of photography would be greatly appreciated. I will mount a canon slr camera with a 300mm lens and a 2X converter.
Old 04-01-06, 22:10

Hi Brian

I was looking at tripods and heads a few months ago. I first considered a ball head and after trying a few and talking to folk on birdforum I decided that was completely the wrong choice. A head like the Manfrotto 222 (vertical pistol grip) action ball is a bad idea because of the leverage between the point of support and the weight of the camera. Heads like the Manfrotto 486RC2 just go flop when you loosen and then difficult to micro adjust when you tighten. The only ball head I was semi-impressed with was the Manffrotto 322 ( horizontal pistol grip ) . Sorry these are UK numbers I don't know the US equiv.

I needed to support a 20D 300 F4 and 1.4 TC

Rob

Last edited by robski; 04-01-06 at 22:30.
Old 04-01-06, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Hi Brian

I was looking at tripods and heads a few months ago. I first considered a ball head and after trying a few and talking to folk on birdforum I decided that was completely the wrong choice. A head like the Manfrotto 222 (vertical pistol grip) action ball is a bad idea because of the leverage between the point of support and the weight of the camera. Heads like the Manfrotto 486RC2 just go flop when you loosen and then difficult to micro adjust when you tighten. The only ball head I was semi-impressed with was the Manffrotto 322 ( horizontal pistol grip ) . Sorry these are UK numbers I don't know the US equiv.

I needed to support a 20D 300 F4 and 1.4 TC

Rob
This is the head I chose to partner my Giottos Inovator tripod.
I find it to be a real pleasure to use, but it's very heavy and at £90 Is more than Brian wants to pay.

Harry
Old 04-01-06, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian La
I am currently looking for a ball head type tripod, that will support 7 lbs or more and is less than $100 (USD), that is of good quality. Any suggestions for a tripod for this type of photography would be greatly appreciated. I will mount a canon slr camera with a 300mm lens and a 2X converter.
Hi Brian,

Are you able to see a tripod or are you going to have to mail order / internet purchase. Just looked at Eagle optics as not familiar with what you can get for $100. Eagle Optics link, http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp...ype=27&purch=0

Problem even getting a Manfrotto 190 legs for that, and no way would I mount 300mm + 2x on that.

For this budget you may be looking at a used set of legs. You need something at least as stable as the Manfrotto 055 or in US Bogen 3011. Hence the question will you be able to see it.

A bit tricky answering from this side of the pond. Maybe someone from the States can offer an option

Don
Old 05-01-06, 00:15

Thanks for the information, I will be purchasing a tripod over the internet or ordering from the local camera store. Sounds like the bogen 3011 model maybe a good starting point, I'll take a look.

Brian
Old 05-01-06, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian La
Thanks for the information, I will be purchasing a tripod over the internet or ordering from the local camera store. Sounds like the bogen 3011 model maybe a good starting point, I'll take a look.

Brian
Brian

If you have a local camera store visit with your kit. Its all about getting maximum stability for your bucks. Once you have tried a few with your kit on you will be able to make a better assesment. I mentioned used as you can move up a league that way. The tripod comprises 2 parts, legs and head, so you may get a set of legs you like to which you can get a head to suit. I am linking Bogen site as you can see some of the huge array available. http://www.bogenimaging.us/

Don
Old 05-01-06, 09:10

I managed to get a very good condition second hand Nat 055 plus a 128rc via a birdforum member for £100. Weight was not an issue for me - My birding patch is a short walk or I throw it in the back of the estate car (station wagon). A lot of folk are trading in the heavy tripods for carbon fibre versions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 05-01-06 at 09:12.
Old 05-01-06, 11:19
Admin

Hi Brian, your using a focal length of 600mm before any camera crop factor... don't skimp on support. Manfrotto 055 is the bare minimum for a legset, even more so if you are using a big f2.8 300mm lens. If it is a f2.8, then I'd suggest a fluid type head along the lines of the Manfrotto 501 pro.

The quality of modern Fluid and gimbal type heads have made ball heads almost redundant today for the bird/wildlife photographer with large lenses.

cheers,
Andy
Old 06-01-06, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Hi Brian, your using a focal length of 600mm before any camera crop factor... don't skimp on support. Manfrotto 055 is the bare minimum for a legset, even more so if you are using a big f2.8 300mm lens. If it is a f2.8, then I'd suggest a fluid type head along the lines of the Manfrotto 501 pro.

The quality of modern Fluid and gimbal type heads have made ball heads almost redundant today for the bird/wildlife photographer with large lenses.

cheers,
Andy
I wouldn't agree. I have tried several large tripods incluing the Benbo Mk1, an old monster Kodak tripod that weighed 15 lbs, the manfrotto 501 and the Manfrotto 075B which is about the sturdiest non Studio tripod they do (12lb weight with hydrostatic ball head and rated at over 27 llb support weight and with well centre braced legs as well). Non were perfect with a 300mm f2.8 with 2x conv. then I bought the 055B with the large magnesium hydrostatic ball head (rated at 35lb) which with the adjustable frcition lock is superb for 3D panning and things got a lot better, I can now get shots that out-resolve the CCD at 1/5th sec (better than 54llpm).

I couldn't understand why at first so I carried out some measurements using a B&K miniature accelerometer and an Analogic FFT analyser. the answer is in the higher intrinsic damping of the spirally wound CF tripod legs, the unique top leg locating expansion clamps which impart further damping and the associated lower leg locking clamps. For the same shock input derived from a solenoid driven hammer the vibration with the 055 died away in less tha 0.5 sec with all the metal tripods the decay time was over 2 seconds, also Manfrotto have made the best use of the unique properties of composite media by moving away from tubular legs to a pentagonal section which places a much larger proportion of the applied stess in tension which of course is where composites really score.
Old 06-01-06, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyridge50
I wouldn't agree. I have tried several large tripods incluing the Benbo Mk1, an old monster Kodak tripod that weighed 15 lbs, the manfrotto 501 and the Manfrotto 075B which is about the sturdiest non Studio tripod they do (12lb weight with hydrostatic ball head and rated at over 27 llb support weight and with well centre braced legs as well). Non were perfect with a 300mm f2.8 with 2x conv. then I bought the 055B with the large magnesium hydrostatic ball head (rated at 35lb) which with the adjustable frcition lock is superb for 3D panning and things got a lot better, I can now get shots that out-resolve the CCD at 1/5th sec (better than 54llpm).

I couldn't understand why at first so I carried out some measurements using a B&K miniature accelerometer and an Analogic FFT analyser. the answer is in the higher intrinsic damping of the spirally wound CF tripod legs, the unique top leg locating expansion clamps which impart further damping and the associated lower leg locking clamps. For the same shock input derived from a solenoid driven hammer the vibration with the 055 died away in less tha 0.5 sec with all the metal tripods the decay time was over 2 seconds, also Manfrotto have made the best use of the unique properties of composite media by moving away from tubular legs to a pentagonal section which places a much larger proportion of the applied stess in tension which of course is where composites really score.

Thanks for the very detailed explanation, but for lesser mortals like myself could you please repeat this in laymans terms