WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Manual macro on the cheap.

Old 13-06-07, 21:39

Christine,

Tomorrow I will reverse a 50 onto another 50 and 105 to see the level of magnification and if there is vignetting how much. So hold on until then.

As I discovered this evening for an experiment of Daves set up, 50 reversed on a 200 gives huge magnifiction. 5 1/2 mm is all you will see in the long side of the viewfinder.

The pogram works well but I have only done staight stacks. I will post screen grabs of the route I took.

The prog is quite complicated so I just took the easy way out once I had found it.

Don
Old 13-06-07, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Dave,

Adeys suggestion is probably the best. Link to the Manfrotto page for details http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...id=107&idx=116 . It takes a moment to load.

Alternative without micro positioning is 357 UNIVERSAL SLIDING PLATE link http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...id=107&idx=115

The 357 is cheaper but not as effective as the 454 particularly at these magnifications.

Don
Anyone with a set of bellows may be able to adapt them as a focussing rail.

I have a set of Olympus OM bellows which haven't seen much use in recent years but by adding the 'Focus Stage' and removing the actual bellows bit you have a first class unit to fit many cameras.

Finding a focus stage for sale is the hard bit - I eventually homed-in on one (new!) at B&H in New York at a very reasonable price. B&H seem to have a bit of a 'mixed' rating from customers but I ordered my unit on a Thursday morning and it arrived the following Tuesday morning. This was a few weeks ago when the exchange rate was about $2 to the £ and the total cost including quite a lump for postage was £44

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 13-06-07, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Christine,

I will post screen grabs of the route I took.

Don
The images were taken in RAW and converted to Tiff 8bit as I don't think the program can handle 16 bit. I guess they could just have easily been Best Quality JPEGs. The important thing is that they are in the same folder. I numbered them 1, 2, 3, 4 etc as I converted them so they would load sequentially.

Open CZM and select File - New then navigate to the folder containing the images. Hold down Control key and select all the images you wish to stack. Once selected go to Macro and select - Do Stack. Then sit back while the program does the stack. Once stacked save for Photoshoping.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZM Screen grab.jpg (120.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 13-06-07, 23:18
Super Moderator

Thanks for that Don, I can't wait to give it a try tomorrow, I will try first with the bellows for the macro.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 14-06-07, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Brilliant Don, I have downloaded the program to have a go it looks like it works well. I have got the 58-58mm adapter ring now so will have to have a go at getting some close-up. I might have to buy another Canon 50mm lens so I can reverse onto that, it will be much easier to find focus than the reversed lens on the 75-300.

Christine,

Here are a set of full frame pics to show the magnification effect of reversing a 50mm lens on another lens. 50 on a 50 shows serious vignetting. A steel ruler marked in milimeters was used so you can see how large or should I say small the field of view is.

Pic 1 : 200mm f4 with reverse 50mm f1.4
Pic 2 : 105mm f2.5 with reversed 50mm f1.4
Pic 3 : 50mm f1.4 with rversed 50mm f2
Pic 4 : The lunatic fringe and just for fun, 200mm f4 with reversed 24mm f2.8. Focussing this is a nighmare.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200-rev-50.jpg (92.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 105-rev-50.jpg (95.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 50-rev-50.jpg (44.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 200-rev-24.jpg (102.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 14-06-07, 14:17
Super Moderator

Thanks Don, that been a big help, saves me some money and we could do without extra expense at the moment. The magnification looks great with the 200mm and reversed 50mm, I will set my 75-300 to 200 and see what I can get.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 14-06-07, 15:01

Thanks for the links Adey and Don. I've put the 454 micro positioning plate on my "must get when the cash is available" list.

Dave
Old 15-06-07, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
Anyone with a set of bellows may be able to adapt them as a focussing rail.

I have a set of Olympus OM bellows which haven't seen much use in recent years but by adding the 'Focus Stage' and removing the actual bellows bit you have a first class unit to fit many cameras.

Finding a focus stage for sale is the hard bit - I eventually homed-in on one (new!) at B&H in New York at a very reasonable price. B&H seem to have a bit of a 'mixed' rating from customers but I ordered my unit on a Thursday morning and it arrived the following Tuesday morning. This was a few weeks ago when the exchange rate was about $2 to the £ and the total cost including quite a lump for postage was £44
I'm reliably informed that 'Mr Cad' in Croydon www.mrcad.co.uk have a s/h focus stage in stock for anyone with a set of OM bellows that they want to use as a focus-rail. No idea of the price, though.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 21-06-07, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
One focus rail option is the Manfrotto 454 'Micro Positioning Plate' here: http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/bi...rotto.html#acc Scroll down to the section marked 'Camera Brackets, Mounts, etc.'
I ordered one from these people:

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/acatal...cessories.html

They are a bit cheaper. I also ordered a Kirk quick release platform, and I'll get a Chinese AS plate.
Old 21-06-07, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I ordered one from these people:

http://www.digitaldepot.co.uk/acatal...cessories.html

They are a bit cheaper. I also ordered a Kirk quick release platform, and I'll get a Chinese AS plate.
Thanks Leif. I have just taken delivery of a 454 from WE, but no doubt others will be interested.

Dave