WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Which Macro lens for Nikon d3000

Old 15-05-12, 21:11

Default Which Macro lens for Nikon d3000

Hi all, i am a bit of an amatuer at macro, hoping to upskill over the forthcoming months. My girlfriend designs and makes her own jewlery, and up until recently has always paid for it to be photographed. I am looking to buy a decent bit of glass to do this myself.

So far i have become very confused, was looking at getting the Nikon 85mm micro, and this is the sort of money im willing to spend. However, reviews seem to be quite critical of this lens, without giving many alternatives. Some have suggested Tamron 90mm or even a sigma, but i cannot tell wether they would be compatable with body i have? Any advice suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance Steve
Old 16-05-12, 16:30

Default Macro lens for D3000

I have the Tamron 90mm macro lens which I use with my D90. This camera has a built in focus motor which I think the D3000 lacks. However the latest model of this lens, designated A272NII,from about 2008, does have a motor so this should be suitable. I've had some good results from this lens in both auto-focus and manual modes.
See http://www.tamron.eu/uk/lenses/overview/single/product/sp-af-90mm-f28-di-macro-11-2.html[/url] for more info.

Dave
Old 17-05-12, 09:24

I had the same dilemma and I too take photos of my wife's jewellery so your post made me laugh. I have to agree with Dave that the Tamron is a very well known lens that performs beyond its budget. That said the Tokina 100mm f2.8 is the best lens in that budget range. It gets rated by everyone and that's why I bought one. I too looked at the Nikon 85mm but its not a good macro lens until f11 which frankly isn't good enough. The 60mm is the better bet but I would stick with the Tokina or Tamron. The build quality is better on the Tokina for long term use and if you don't know Tokina, it was set up by disenchanted Nikon staff who thought they could do better and to be fair they often do!!
Old 28-05-12, 20:16

Thanks for the advice. Here are the dilemmas i face though. I have a load of jessop vouchers so the lens has to come from them. The only ones they stock i am interested in are the -

Nikon 60 mm AFS £419
Nikon 85 mm AFS £439
Tamron 90 mm AF £349

I have a d3000 camera so to achieve AF i need an AFS lens. Now this might not be an issue as i understand i would be taking any macro shots in manual. So at this point i am thinking the tamron 90mm AF, its a no brainer, it is cheaper and it reviews suggest far better results. However, i dont have loads of money to spend on lenses and the nikon 60mm which has AFS acts as a great portrait lens. Yet, ostensibly i am buying it to photograph jewelery. So the extra length of the tamron might really be of advantage? If only stupid jessops so the tamron afs version. So guys what are your thoughts on what to go for?
Old 29-05-12, 01:32

I thought jessops stocked pretty much all consumer lenses, which is basically what you want. I'm really suprized they don't stock the motorized tammy.

Why not see if they can get the tokina?
Old 29-05-12, 07:51

I know really disapointed in the lenses they have to offer. They do not do the Tokinka either. Think it is going to have to be the Tamron, as all the Macro shots will be achieved through manual focus. Whilst the other 2 will be inferior at Macro and not achieve brilliant portrait as they are slow. Moreover the Tamron is quite a bit cheaper.

Ps i have dropped my phone in the sea and it is not working
Old 29-05-12, 14:48

That was clever lol
Old 01-06-12, 12:22

What a shame, that Tokina is a stunning lens and far outperforms the other lenses. The Tamron is your best choice. Its a shame though. Cant you sell your vouchers or swap them with someone??

As for your phone, i guess you didnt 'sea' that coming!!
Old 01-06-12, 22:33

Boom boom.
Old 02-06-12, 15:22

I've had a Sigma 105mm and now have a Tamron 90mm. Both are fantastic lenses.