WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

WPF Monthly Photo Competitons

Old 03-03-06, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
I think the voting page link needs to be more prominent so that as soon as you log on to World Photography Forums you see the voting link in front of you! At the moment it takes some finding if you don't know where it is?

nirofo.
I agree with nirofo. Current votes cast 32, although it still has a while to run.

Don
Old 04-03-06, 10:23
Chris

Is the reluctance to vote something to do with the fact that probably 20 of the entries are competition winning standard? How does one choose? I put in a 'silly' about mid-month as there were already so many fine sunsets that I thought the subject might be expandable, but the sheer beauty we are treated to nearly every day (twice for the dawn birds) is endless. The standard of photographic skills on the site is pretty well 'given'. Tentatively I have pulled out half a dozen to ponder over full screen with no distractions.....
Old 04-03-06, 13:05

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I must have mis-counted the votes. Oh well! I think that nirofo is right with his comment. The vote now slide in the recent pictures should help.
Old 27-03-06, 10:23
Chris

Default comp rules for next month

As we near the end of March and therefore hopefully April theme is about to be announced, I wonder if we could add a couple of rules
(1) to be taken during the month in question
(2) open to users with not less than say 4 pics on the gallery.
This is to discourage a tendency I dislike for one or two people to enter their (I hope their own) star historic pic and contribute nothing else to the forum. This seems unfair to the vast majority who do an awful lot of it.
Old 27-03-06, 10:48

[quote=nirofo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl
Wow, I just did a quick count of the number of votes registered. I think that it's only about 37. Aren't there over 1300 members of the forum? Why don't people vote?[/QUOTE]

Hi Snowyowl

I think the voting page link needs to be more prominent so that as soon as you log on to World Photography Forums you see the voting link in front of you! At the moment it takes some finding if you don't know where it is?

nirofo.
This is something I'm in full agreement with, I've arrived at an age where I find it difficult to remember where the on off switch on the camera is, so you can imagine the difficulty I have finding the voting page.

On another point I'm also in favour of taking a photo to suit the competition theme, not searching my hard drive for a suitable one.

Harry
Old 27-03-06, 13:52

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal
As we near the end of March and therefore hopefully April theme is about to be announced, I wonder if we could add a couple of rules
(1) to be taken during the month in question
(2) open to users with not less than say 4 pics on the gallery.
This is to discourage a tendency I dislike for one or two people to enter their (I hope their own) star historic pic and contribute nothing else to the forum. This seems unfair to the vast majority who do an awful lot of it.
I agree in principle with both of your suggestions but think that "during the month in question" may be just a bit tight. I could certainly live with it but it means that we can't take anything for the competition before, for example, 1 Apr., and to me photography sometimes has to involve just grabbing an opportunity when it presents. Obviously it depends on the theme of the competition. Perhaps within 30 days might be better?
Old 27-03-06, 14:16

If we limit entries to be taken during the month of the competition, then I'm afraid that lets me out.

nirofo.
Old 27-03-06, 14:36

Doesn't BF have a 'within the last 12 months' limit on competition entries? Maybe this could be a compromise.
Old 27-03-06, 14:54
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonW
Doesn't BF have a 'within the last 12 months' limit on competition entries? Maybe this could be a compromise.
Yes, I think that's fair. Though with all of this, we can only take people's word that the image was taken when they state... exif data doesn't apply to all images.

We would also have to enforce that a date is specified when the image is uploaded for the comp... this has caused a few problems before, when a photo has had to be disqualified because no date was supplied. Just a month and year would be o.k. if an exact date cannot be remembered.

cheers,
Andy
Old 05-05-08, 09:09

Forgive my ignorance, but try as I may I cannot seem to find the monthly comp rules. Are they semi-formal or do I require direction?
Aside from being an aged computer L-plater, I offer the excuse that as a train driver, I don't get to use a steering wheel that often!? LOL
Cheers John