WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Number lock frustration

Old 25-04-06, 20:29

Default Number lock frustration

For the last eight months I have suffered number lock fun with my computer. In the BIOS number lock is set to ON after boot like most computers. The Num Lock light comes ON on the keyboard until windows starts. The log-on to windows screen with user names requires password which is numerical. At this screen Num Lock is switched OFF by windows. Where in windows can I opt to keep Number Lock on so I can enter my password without frustration!
Old 25-04-06, 20:41
Super Moderator

Stephen I have just found this for you.
How to enable the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 154529
Last Review : August 20, 2004
Revision : 3.0
This article was previously published under Q154529
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/EN-US/) Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

NOTE: This article does not apply to Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server. It also does not apply to Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Advanced Server running Terminal Services.
SUMMARY
The status of the NUM LOCK key is specific for each user, and it is disabled by default. If you want the NUM LOCK key enabled for use before a user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on, you must use Registry Editor to change the default behavior.
MORE INFORMATION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, use the steps below.

1. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
3. Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 25-04-06, 20:46

Superb! - I'll give it a whirl next time I turn the desktop machine on and let you know if it works.
Old 26-04-06, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
....................... At this screen Num Lock is switched OFF by windows. Where in windows can I opt to keep Number Lock on so I can enter my password without frustration!
Stephen, am I right in thinking that when Num Lock is switched OFF by Windows, the Num Lock key is disabled so as not being able to be used on your keyboard at the point of your requirement to enter your numeric password?

Roger
Old 27-04-06, 07:29

The above registry edit did not force number lock ON at the windows logon screen. The BIOS switches ON number lock at boot and when windows becomes active number lock is switched off. Its very frustrating to first switch number lock on thern enter a password. The only reason I have a password is I like to use remote desktop from downstairs on a laptop and this requires a password for all users.
Old 15-09-06, 15:08

At the time when I opted for a numeric password I swapped router for a wireless enabled version so I could use wireless laptop on my network and the password on the desktop was for windows remote desktop, so I could access desktop files from laptop. At the time I must have down powered the desktop and I now believe this caused the issue. The PC is regularly switched off but power cord remains live - in this case motherboard is always live. On Monday we had a powerful electrical storm and I removed all external cables from my PC in an attempt to preserve all photos across several hard drives in the machine.

The next day I switch on the machine and pressed <num lock> then numeric password but the password not recognised - odd I thought then noticed the num lock light was out. pressed <num lock> followed by numeric password and I got access all was normal.

The next day I noticed number lock was ON without pressing anything at all. It seems cycling power to my desktop has cured this problem - I only suffered for eighteen months!

Thought I would share this and close off this thread :-)
Old 16-09-06, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
At the time when I opted for a numeric password I swapped router for a wireless enabled version so I could use wireless laptop on my network and the password on the desktop was for windows remote desktop, so I could access desktop files from laptop. At the time I must have down powered the desktop and I now believe this caused the issue. The PC is regularly switched off but power cord remains live - in this case motherboard is always live. On Monday we had a powerful electrical storm and I removed all external cables from my PC in an attempt to preserve all photos across several hard drives in the machine.

The next day I switch on the machine and pressed <num lock> then numeric password but the password not recognised - odd I thought then noticed the num lock light was out. pressed <num lock> followed by numeric password and I got access all was normal.

The next day I noticed number lock was ON without pressing anything at all. It seems cycling power to my desktop has cured this problem - I only suffered for eighteen months!

Thought I would share this and close off this thread :-)
I am pleased that you have at last found the reason and answer to your problem Stephen. Hopefully, this will help others, if only we can remember the questions/problems and answers such as this. In my (earlier) days of programming/system development I utilised many unintentional mistakes for later requirements, as and when they were needed (but my memory was much better then!).

Roger