WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Canon 75-300

Old 19-06-14, 02:59

Default Canon 75-300

Hi all, my name is Tom. I’m a professional photographer based in Sydney. I’ve had a Canon EF75-300 for years now. I don’t use it much for stills but I find I do increasingly for video. However, I notice sharpness (or lack of it) can be a problem – even in the f8-11 range – and with any kind of wind or movement camera shake can be disastrous.
The lens doesn’t have image stabilizer. Has anyone used the image stabilizer version for video? Does it make a big difference?
The other option is the L range 70-300. I’m hesitant because of the bulk and weight. Can anyone comment on this lens vs the EF version?
Old 19-06-14, 22:53

I had the 75-300 years ago, it was soft as you know. I gave it to my daughter who has only a casual interest in photography. I now have the 70-300L which is a superb lens. It is heavy because it is built like a tank but it is in a completely different league to my old lens, razor sharp, fast focusing (on a 7D) and with an excellent IS. I never shoot video so can't comment on that but of course optical will translate across to video.
Old 26-06-14, 22:06

Thanks for that, Mike. Yes, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet with the 70-300L. It does look like a great lens. Looks like it will also mean a bigger kit bag.