WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

D50 with Sigma 28-300 and coverter possible?

Old 30-04-08, 12:44

Default D50 with Sigma 28-300 and coverter possible?

Hi, Does anyone know if you can fit a sigma 1.4x or 2x convertor to a Nikon D50 and a Sigma 28-300 zoom lens - If so would the AF work or would you have to use the Manual focus?

Thanks in advance for any help as this is still all new to me!

Cheers
Richard
Old 30-04-08, 17:09
Chris

It probably will fit, but the Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DG MACRO is not one of the lenses they suggest you use the converters on. As it is a budget lens with quite an ambitious range, it is probably fully stretched already and you might get results hardly any better with the 1.4 converter than without it and just more heavily cropped.

You can get an answer direct from [email protected] (and more lens info from that web-site) or maybe someone else will have more direct experience.

Do you already have the body and if so what other lenses already?
Old 01-05-08, 10:34

Thanks - Yes I have the Body and the original Nikon 18-55 lense as well.
Richard
Old 01-05-08, 10:35

Looking at Motorsport shots from a reasonable distance but still on a budget - any recommendations?
Old 01-05-08, 12:21

Possible and advisable are two different things. Any zoom lens with a range from 28-300 has some serious limitations regarding its optical performance, adding a t/con will seriously compromise this performance further.

You could well do it, but I'd be very surprised if the resulting images would match the ones you have in your head. You are trying to avoid the large expense of a big lens and get the same results on the cheap. I'm afraid it's not that easy. As a general rule, t/cons will not give good results when used on budget lenses, the 28-300 falls into this category. I have tried using a 1.5x t/con on my Sigma 135-400 (another budget lens, but probably better performance than a 28-300) and found the results all but unusable.

I think if you go ahead with your plan, you'll be disappointed.

As for recommendations, I wouldn't say that there are many options beyond spending a reasonable amount of cash. If it could be done on the cheap, everyone would be doing it.

Just my two penneth.

Duncan
Old 01-05-08, 12:41
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Looking at Motorsport shots from a reasonable distance but still on a budget - any recommendations?
not my scene Richard, look at what guys doing motor sport are using and include Derekb in that.(also search pbase) I suspect you have an irreconcilable problem between performance and budget. In the long run you will only want top quality lenses and will have wasted cost of any cheaper substitutes you buy in the meantime. Also don't forget converters go between body and lens, so more changes, more sensor dirt.

Are you familiar with the review sites eg
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/182...s-55-200mm.htm
http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Ni...DX-VR-f35-56-G

http://www.nikonlinks.com/sitemap.htm gives all reviews by lens
Old 01-05-08, 12:44

I thought that Sigma tc,s have a protrusion similar to the Canon ones!. If this is so then it will only Physically fit certain lenses. This is done to stop you putting a converter on a lens which the manufacturer deems unsuitable. Having said that, a Kenko Pro tc will fit just about any lens.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 01-05-08, 14:32

I would agree that you're probably looking at saving for a better lens. It might be worth thinking about a secondhand sigma 50-500 or tamron 200-500. Both are reasonable performers at the long end, and will take a TC, although IQ suffers as does AF. I have had 2 sigma 50-500 over the years, and found the lens to be very versatile. Secondhand prices seem to be around £350-400 for the sigma, so you get a lot of reach for your money. An alternative would be a secondhand sigma 70-200 f2.8 with a 1.4 or 2*TC, less reach than either of the other lenses, but a good general purpose lens.