WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Cable release on Nikon D2X

Old 18-07-06, 22:33
Super Moderator

Don would a spring out of a cheap cigarette lighter do the trick.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 18-07-06, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Don would a spring out of a cheap cigarette lighter do the trick.
Good plot Christine.

Just been out to the workshop and taken one to bits without setting fire to anything but it is too strong. As it is only for returning the plunger it needs to be really weak, to not add to the load when you press the cable release. That way you do not loose that touch on the shutter that a cable release has.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Don
Old 20-07-06, 21:25

I got the paint today and decided that if I was going to do it anytime, now was the time.

I succeeded in reducing the weight by milling out a further 40grams from the base. Thickness of the milled sections is now 1.5mm.
Total weight now 310 grams + paint.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Base extra milling.jpg (96.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 22-07-06, 20:23

Finding a way of shortening the capsule has been driving me nuts. So this morning was another serious rummage session through drawers in the search for a spring or something I could get one from. I found an old Parker ballpen with a bent clip, so I sawed the top off to retrieve the spring from the clicker. This allowed me to re-make the capsule with 7mm less overhang.

The Mk2 is now complete. Weight is now under 300 grams.

This afternoon I cancelled my order for MC30 and used the cash saving to replace my 25 year old monopod.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New capsule version.jpg (131.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 13-09-06, 15:17

Well after a few months of amateur weekend use my Nikon MC30 has almost fallen to pieces. The rubber round the cable started splitting and now the cable has split, despite being wrapped in masking tape. I'll complain to Nikon, or Grays, though I do not expect any comeback. For £60 I expect more than 2 months use.

This morning I rceived a Chinese copy made by Jianisi costing £10 + P&P and it certainly looks as well made as the Nikon one. And it is a push fit rather than the incredibly fiddly screw fit of the Nikon.
Old 14-09-06, 02:26

Why pay all that much money for a Nikon product, or go to the trouble of making one yourself when you can buy a very good alternative one for £9.97 inc P/P & ins. I've got one, they're very good and work a treat!

Here's the web link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Cord-to...QQcmdZViewItem

You might have to wait up to 10 days for delivery, but it's worth the wait.

nirofo.
Old 14-09-06, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Why pay all that much money for a Nikon product, or go to the trouble of making one yourself when you can buy a very good alternative one for £9.97 inc P/P & ins. I've got one, they're very good and work a treat!
Because the assumption is that the Nikon product is better made than a Chinese one. It isn't. I also bought my Chinese MC30 from ebay but the seller was UK based so it arrived after two days. Oddly enough, the day I received it, I found that he was no longer registered as an ebay seller.

I can understand Don's approach. His uses standard cable releases which can be bought anywhere and don't cost much to replace if he loses/destroys one.
Old 14-09-06, 11:19
Super Moderator

I have just purchased the adidt version for my 30D, very well made. £11 for the 3 metre length. He does them in diferent lengths or sells extensions.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1...sassZwenatrado. this one is germany based only took two days.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 14-09-06, 12:26

Sorry to hear of your problems Leif.

I just cannot understand why Nikon never released a 10 pin version of the MR-3. See attached image. They cannot keep up with demand for MC-30 so not a lot of financial benefit in not releasing a 10 pin version.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MR_3 Remote.jpg (120.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 14-09-06, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems Leif.

I just cannot understand why Nikon never released a 10 pin version of the MR-3. See attached image. They cannot keep up with demand for MC-30 so not a lot of financial benefit in not releasing a 10 pin version.

Don
I agree. I used to have an MR-3 and as I understand it all that the MC-30 does is make and break a connection between two pins. The MR-3 does the same. I suppose someone with your engineering skills could make an equivalent.