WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Nikon 1000mm f11 reflex - any good?

Old 09-02-09, 11:47

Default Nikon 1000mm f11 reflex - any good?

Hi there - has anyone experience of a 1000mm reflex lens? I know you either love or hate the doughnuts but has anyone used one and what were its pros or cons? Thanks - Andy.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 09-02-09, 12:26

Andy, are you planning to buy that? If yes then try to figure out how often you're going to use that. Not only for doughnuts but just one opening may cause serious frustration at times..
Old 09-02-09, 12:35

Hi, Rudra, yes, I am planning on getting one. I know it will not be used very often, it's closest focus is 25ft and there are difficulties with focus at f11 but I intend it for landscape work, and shy animals/birds. My arthritis now prevents me from using the best telephoto - two legs- from getting close to various stuff so I thought I might try a longer reach lens. I also thought that "live view" should help with focus - any thoughts are very welcome. It will be used on a Manfrotto 055V tripod with Arca Swiss B1 ball head, which I think should be sturdy enough.

Last edited by andy153; 09-02-09 at 12:40.
Old 09-02-09, 14:14

Manfrotto 055V tripod with Arca Swiss B1 ball head sounds good enough especially when that 1000mm lens in not heavy.

Andy, I think Sassan is the right person to check out more. He uses one.
Old 09-02-09, 18:41

I used my D2X and 70-200 VR f2.8 on a Manfrotto 055 pro tripod and found it very wibbly-wobbly. Consequently most of my shots were blurred!

Also at almost 2kg I would not describe the 1000mm lens as 'not heavy'

I suggest a much sturdier tripod and heavy duty head especially with the slow shutter speeds f11 would yield.

Lens spec here
Old 09-02-09, 20:39

I have got an old Canon FD 500mm mirror which was difficult to use because of difficulty in focussing due to the fixed f8 aperture and narrow DOF. It was used in the film days of course which meant slow shutter speeds which sometimes caused blur due to subject movement. The Nikon superb high ISO capabilities will help there of course but even so I wonder if it will be a bright day only lens. I did try my mirror lens with a 2x converter once and only once because it exacerbated the above so much and wobble in a hide with people moving was impossible to deal with. Persuaded me, once I had gone EOS, to buy the cheapest autofocus 500 I could which was a 170-500 Sigma.
Old 10-02-09, 00:32

Hi Andy, I've no experience of the Nikkor one, but did use a Russian 'copy' for a while. Bit of a monster. I couldn't help thinking it wouldve been nice to have a wider field spotting lens on the hotshoe to try and track objects a little better. I didnt use it enough really to get the best from it, but mirrors are certainly a love 'em or hate 'em type thing. I think they're great, Sigma did a 600mm f4 one for a short while. I always fancied a bright mirror lens, but they're extremely rare....I never found one before the novelty and money for one was spent.
Old 10-02-09, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
........... It will be used on a Manfrotto 055V tripod with Arca Swiss B1 ball head, which I think should be sturdy enough.
Andy,
I just had to read up on the Arca Swiss B1, never having had such a fancy ballhead.
The ballhead seems fine but I would have serious reservations as to the 055 legs with that lens. I have an 055 and know its limitation particularly if I put it up against my Slik Pro.

I regard the 055 more of lightweight travel job whereas the Slik is a serious camera platform. Foxy has a similar Slik to mine, so we are singing from the same hymn sheet in that regard.
For my moonshots when that thread was active, with 400mm + 2x tc on the Slik tripod I even added 5kg of ballast and used mirror lock and remote to all to combat vibrations.

Perhaps a long lens user could comment on the Gitzo range as that is probably your best lightweight solution on the legs front.

Don
Old 10-02-09, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
Also at almost 2kg I would not describe the 1000mm lens as 'not heavy'
Sure Stephen. Add weight of D3 to that. D3 body can’t be less than 1.2kg. So we’re talking about roughly 3kg plus.
As we all know that f11 need some miraculous light to allow using slower shutter speeds and in that case no single heavy duty tripod would help…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes
I suggest a much sturdier tripod and heavy duty head especially with the slow shutter speeds f11 would yield.
..probably two tripods setup would help. One goes for body and other for the lens. With mirror lock up of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
The ballhead seems fine but I would have serious reservations as to the 055 legs with that lens.
Don, I doubt any single tripod can solve this issue. That lens is made for high shutter speed and high ISO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Perhaps a long lens user could comment on the Gitzo range as that is probably your best lightweight solution on the legs front.
But it still has one single point screw to lock the camera.

Andy’s current setup is fine for higher ISO and fast shutter speeds. It’s only working as a support, which is little better than a monopod.
Old 11-02-09, 12:57

Thanks Folks, I've had a trip to my local dealer and I'm investing in a Manfrotto 058 Triaut Tripod LINK http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...lsf=68&child=1

with an Acratech GV2 gimbal ballhead LINK http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=9

I think it should do the job - I also have the 500mm f4 P Nikkor.