WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Advise Photo Editing Software Please

Old 01-02-07, 06:05

Default Advise Photo Editing Software Please

Advice please on Image Editing Software I have been offline for a while meandering across Australia, remember seeing something before offline but cant find now, outdated now?. I was using free trail Jacques paint shop? But because I was thumbling around I would use say Microsoft to crop and resize and then try improving it on paint shop. Probably stuffing everything my images don’t need any handicapping and plus I need to get something, learn how to use it properly cause I don’t need anymore retarding.
So I am looking for some advice, don’t believe I need anything over the top. Something that has a tutorial for slow learners would be good and keeps exif info.
Regards George
Old 01-02-07, 10:54

There are two popular photo editting suites of your are on a budget. Adobe Photoshop Elements is probably your best bet and is bundled in with many cameras. The second option is Paint Shop Pro both allow usual adjustments of brightness, contrast, colour, resize and sharpening.

Many use Adobe Photoshop CS2 but CS3 is soon to be released, this does everything imaginable but costs a arm and a leg!
Old 01-02-07, 14:12

For the money, Paint Shop Pro is probably the better deal with more features per dollar, so to speak. However, Adobe Photoshop Elements has a huge user base and is a logical stepping stone before comitting to the full feature Photoshop CS2 (or CS3). Because of this, there are a huge number of books and online tutorials available for Photoshop Elements. Most photography magazines will carry editing artcles based on Adobe Photoshop products and would therefore fit your need to learn at your own pace.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 01-02-07, 17:46

Personally I would plumb for Photoshop Elements 5, it has many of the features which are available in it's big brother Photoshop CS2 or CS3. It has the latest RAW file software built in, takes the majority of the thousands of photoshop plugins that are available and can be had for approx £45.

Here's a web link to a 30 day trial period of Photoshop Elements 5, you can purchase it online if you want to keep it after 30 days.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...in/tryout.html

nirofo.
Old 02-02-07, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Personally I would plumb for Photoshop Elements 5,

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...in/tryout.html

nirofo.
Agree with nirofo and bottom line is any adobe derivative of "Photoshop" is by far the best editing software for now (What a pity for consumer not to have many options). Many others have tried to get close, no one is there yet. Photoshop is like Einstein's theories, Made for tomorrow. Anytime I thought there is something photoshop can't do, sooner and not later, learned that I did not know enough about PS.

BTW photoshop CS versions also has the same 30 days free trial, lets count 30 day cs, 30 days cs2, 30 days element, 30 day cs3, 30 days cs4 that would be out by the time these 30 days are passed. So guys no one has any excuse not to step into PS. You love it and yourself a lot more, once you get hang of it. Waist no time.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 02-02-07 at 04:20.
Old 02-02-07, 04:51

Many thanks all, I like the idea of the free trials would you be able to get to trail each upgrade? So Photoshop CS it is, going to see if I can find free trial nirofo's link may be a starting point?
Regards all George.
Old 02-02-07, 12:54

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Don't forget that there are programs out there that are free. GIMP does just about everything that Photoshop does and is free. I didn't find it very user friendly though. The lack of an manual makes it difficult. There is another excellent free editing program from France but the name escapes me at the moment.
Old 05-02-07, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6eor6e6 View Post
I need to get something, learn how to use it properly cause I don’t need anymore retarding.
So I am looking for some advice, don’t believe I need anything over the top. Something that has a tutorial for slow learners would be good and keeps exif info.
Regards George
CS2/3 has a steep learning curve and may be a bit more than you need unless you are into graphics and web design as well ,and may even hinder you at this stage, Elements 5 has already suggested can do everything you will need photographicly wise as well as being more learner friendly.

The latest versions of Correl PSP destroy the exif data (its a known issue to quote Correl) and the their colour managment is pretty iffy.

Paul

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
Old 07-02-07, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
CS2/3 has a steep learning curve and may be a bit more than you need unless you are into graphics and web design as well ,and may even hinder you at this stage, Elements 5 has already suggested can do everything you will need photographicly wise as well as being more learner friendly.

The latest versions of Correl PSP destroy the exif data (its a known issue to quote Correl) and the their colour managment is pretty iffy.

Paul
Thanks Paul, that is logical specialy after seeing prices I tried downloading free trails after waisting 1MB download they came up with errors all though my IP slowed me down that night. All fixed now so might try again with Elements 5
thanks again George
Old 08-02-07, 17:58

Has anyone any thoughts on Adobe Lightroom. Have just tried free beta version and it seems very good. Cost when launched is in region of £150.00
Reviews by independent users give good write up.