WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Canon camera Conundrum

Old 07-11-10, 13:01

Default Canon camera Conundrum

I've decided I want to get myself a simple to operate, yet reasonable camera that is going to allow me to take better photos for my blog/pics of the kid for family back home/general playing.
I don't want to go wild and spend a serious fortune but would like something better than a compact.

I'm of the opinion that a unit with a larger lens is likely to be better than a compact but I could easily be wrong. (Advice very welcome.)

I've seen the one below in a couple of shops at various prices, played with it and found it easy to use.
A canon (sz120?) and also this Olympus (SP 600UZ?) I also tried a fuji at a similar price but that was having serious problems with focus on high zoom.
Sorry I'm unsure as to model numbers but its more general opinions on the brands I'm interested in.

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...1020101676.jpg
Old 07-11-10, 16:09

Hi Fred....

may find this tread helpful.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=4587

as you can imagine this question comes up alot. Have a read through this and you may find out what you need to help you make a decision.
Old 07-11-10, 16:59

Canon S95 is more camera than most people need unless you need fast AF for sports and/or have a penchant for low light. The Powershot G series is the S95 in a chunkier body and slightly different lens.
Old 08-11-10, 11:59

I've spent some time looking in various shops. Odd that so may people tell me the Canon version is a grey import in Indonesia. I've decided to stay clear just in case they're right.
Of course they may be spinning a yarn but several shops have said the same thing.
However, after reading the other thread, I decided to go for what struck me as easy to use and what I feel comfortable with so I went wild a couple of hours ago and bought the Olympus SP600UZ.
Indonesia is a country where haggling is the norm so it took longer to get the price down than deciding on the toy. I ended up with the machine at about 70 quid cheaper than the first price I was quoted. I think I'll be taking it to work with me in the morning and have a quick play. I have a couple of hours free in the morning before I have to speak to any monsters so a little messing around time for me.
Old 10-11-10, 13:24

I'm starting to play with my nice, shiny new Olympus 600 but haven't taking anything I wouldn't go red if anyone saw.
When I manage to take something reasonable, I'll post a link.
Old 18-11-10, 11:11

Here we go.
Forgive many of these being crap by the standards of pros but I'm still learning how to drive my shiny new Olympus. I've started to carry it everywhere including my trip to Wonosobo, Central Java this weekend.
I strung them together photo journalist style to make them easier to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVkFUJE-b8

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Old 19-11-10, 18:10

Gosh, all the shots come and go far too quickly to take on board. It would be much better to post a few individual shots in to the gallery. In general many people do not like clicking on links.
Old 19-11-10, 22:19

Noted but youtube is a pretty safe link.
The animation was made for a forum where they are used to seeing my snaps of Indonesia so they can see what the inexperienced eye will not.
That and I was playing to see what I could do with simple software.
I'll pop a couple onto the gallery when I get chance. One of the few downsides to living in Indonesia is the seriously poor internet. That usually means I can only upload from a few places where speeds get above 256kbps and then only if its working that day.
Many a time I have to go to McD's as its hotspot is the only one fast enough to upload from with a better than 99% chance I can connect.

Indonesia really has to sort out it's roads and internet in short order.