WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Website

Old 08-05-07, 13:52

Default Website

Hope this is in the right place.

I've designed myself a website and was hoping all you nice people would give me your opinions. What you like, what you don't like, what's missing, what should be missing :-) etc etc etc.

You will find it at www.fionalaw.com and yes I do have a link to this wonderful site on it.

Thankyou
Fiona
Old 08-05-07, 17:22

Nice looking website, Fioana, I like the simplicity and it seems easy to navigate. Only criticism is that the fonts are too small - but that could just be my old eyes - gives a slightly cramped look.
Old 08-05-07, 17:55

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Very nice, Fiona! Very different than my approach but I do like yours.
Old 08-05-07, 18:34

I'd agree with Mike, the design is nice and simple, and generally easy to navigate. I do however, have to squint a bit to read the small fonts. The images are a bit on the small size too - and no, I'm not talking about the thumbnails.

Nice to have a clean, simple site that's easy to get around.
Old 08-05-07, 21:35

Nice site, I'm tending to agree that the fonts are a bit small - at least a gallery sub menu font.

From web stats I've added to my most popular sites most people are running in a resolution of 1024x768. I'm running in 1280x1024 and with the small font size and the menu links (left panel) too close together I'm having to be very careful to select what I wanted to select.

Everything else is really good. I like the way the pictures open in their own window.
Old 08-05-07, 21:58

Simple easy site to navigate,Fiona,but yes,as others have mentioned,the text is rather small and too close together,ie in the drop down menu to the left of the homepage.Some very good images,Fiona.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 09-05-07, 10:02

Thankyou for taking a look.

I have to say the font is fine on my laptop however I had a look on my machine in work today and it was tiny.

On the photo's If I make them larger, how do I protect them? I am pressuming with a watermark but how noticable do you make it?

Thanks Fiona
Old 09-05-07, 11:23

There is Software you can purchase to proect your images from the "right click save as" but i cant tell you what they're called. Would be woth looking into though. nicely laid out site.
jamiez740
Old 09-05-07, 11:55

Right-click "save-as" protection is utterly useless. You are only stopping know-nothing people, and at the cost of annoying all the others. What you need is some watermarking software. I spent the best part of a day a while back looking at as many different watermarking programs as I could find, and would up going with AiS Watermark Pictures Protector - you can find it at http://www.watermarker.com/watermark-protector

It's not perfect but it's pretty good, quite cheap, and perfectly practical. My complaints about it are minor ones and it works well. You can see examples of watermarked pictures at my site: http://tannin.net.au but bear it in mind that there are lots of different ways you can do a watermark, so you needn't be limited to the way I've done it.

Yes, you can add watermarks with Photoshop or a zillion other full-on graphics editing programs, but it takes forever - WPP is quick and easy.

PS: Nice overall site design, clean and elegant, but it triggers my pet hate: pictures that open in pop-up windows instead of in the page itself, so I didn't explore as far as I might have done.
Old 12-05-07, 11:46

Thanks for the feedback. It is very much appreciated. When you ask friends etc they just tell you it's great and don't offer any constructive critisism.

The images are all now bigger and watermarked which I ended up doing in PS. They still pop up in their own window but you can click anywhere in the window to close it.

The menu, well I used a template and I'm having difficulty increasing the font without losing half the menu and I can't figure out how to increas the spacing. I have however made a couple of changes to it. When you role your mouse over the items they change colour and move out a bit (sorry don't know how to describe this properly) so it should now be easier to see what you are selecting while I am waiting on feedback on editing the template.

If you don't mind please take another look and let me know what you think.

Fiona