WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

My next lens

Old 22-05-06, 22:15

Default My next lens

Im needing to get something bigger than my 70-300 lens for my aircraft photography. I realy need something that will take me to 500mm.
I have 2 thoughts, the sigma 170-500.
Or the Nikon 100-400 with a 1.5x tele but i have herd that this lens will not take a tele convertor. If that is true can anyone recomend another lens that will go on my D50 of the same size.
Also i cant decide between the 170-500 or the 50-500 sigma lens.
What are peoples thoughts and experainces on these lenses, or do people have an altrenate suggestion.
Old 22-05-06, 22:50
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
Im needing to get something bigger than my 70-300 lens for my aircraft photography. I realy need something that will take me to 500mm.
I have 2 thoughts, the sigma 170-500.
Or the Nikon 100-400 with a 1.5x tele but i have herd that this lens will not take a tele convertor. If that is true can anyone recomend another lens that will go on my D50 of the same size.
Also i cant decide between the 170-500 or the 50-500 sigma lens.
What are peoples thoughts and experainces on these lenses, or do people have an altrenate suggestion.
I think the Sigma 170-500 has even slower AF than the Nikon 80-400, and thats saying something.

The Nikon 80-400 will work with a kenko teleconverter but AF will be unreliable, though VR still works.

I'd be more inclined towards leaving off a teleconverter... better to have good sharp shots and crop a little than something iffy but larger.

Sigma 50-500 is good (better than 170-500) but heavy, the Tamron 200-500mm may be best choice, as this is getting very good reviews for sharpness and it's easier to handhold.

Hopefully a real aviation photographer will chip in with some advice.

cheers,
Andy
Old 23-05-06, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Hopefully a real aviation photographer will chip in with some advice.
You dont have to be a aviation photographer to give good advice. Any usefull advice is welcome. We all photograph different subjects and have different styles to out photography. I like that, it makes this forum what it is.

Looking online now the Tamron sounds a good idea for me. I whant to sometime add second body for static shots so im not having to change lenses all the time.

Last edited by ollieholmes; 23-05-06 at 01:52.
Old 23-05-06, 08:26

I used Nikon 80-400VR for a couple of years on a Fuji S2. Autofocus is slow but I managed to get lots of great pics when I did not appreciate autofocus speed. 80-400VR is a great lens especially between f8 and f11. The lens has a focus limit to reduce the amount of hunting that it did on S2 but when I switched body to a Nikon D2X hunting was a thing of the past. The only fault with the lens then was lack of resolution but on a D50 this will not be realised.

The next lens choice depends if you want quality or reach, reach is provided at an affordable price in the 50-500 especially if you seek a used copy, I did not find it heavy when I lifted with a Canon body attached. Quality is provided by changing the right lens in the right situation. Avoid zooms over 5X (50-500 sigma is 10X) as a prime will give best outright quality a short range zoom should be close. I use four lenses to cover that focal range :-

17-35 f2.8 - static/museum use
28-70 f2.8 static/museum use
70-200VR f2.8 - lumbering airliners and with 1.7TC, crowded airshows
200-400VR f4 - Nice airshows not too crowded
200-400VR f4 with TC on a clear day, special purpose such as moon!

I do not recommend anything over 400mm as keeping the thing steady and tracking even with monopod is difficult. As an experiment I kept 200-400VR at 300mm and more shots were sharp, as Andy suggests its better to crop than have something large but blurry.

I would save up for a 80-400VR as VR really helps achieve prop blur, would be a nice tool at OW.

I reckon the best lens for the flying component of airshows is 300 f2.8VR
Old 23-05-06, 16:57

Thank you for your advice there. the 80-400vr is a bit out of my budget new, but e-bay may help me there.
Old 23-05-06, 17:03
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes
Thank you for your advice there. the 80-400vr is a bit out of my budget new, but e-bay may help me there.
There's one just come in at Ffordes HERE
Old 23-05-06, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
There's one just come in at Ffordes HERE
Thank you for the heads up.
Old 23-05-06, 19:13

Vibration Reduction (VR) is a useful aid to aviation photography. The ability to allow decent prop blur though slow shutter speed in confidence is important. I cannot imagine using a non VR lens now I have been spoilt by its advantages.
Old 23-05-06, 21:21

I had a sigma 170-500 for a couple of days before sending it back - it's not ultra heavy - AF is slow as might be expected - but it extends such a long way it's really uncomfortable to hold. A bit like trying to shoot handheld through a telescope! Not the best option I would think!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 23-05-06, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
Vibration Reduction (VR) is a useful aid to aviation photography. The ability to allow decent prop blur though slow shutter speed in confidence is important. I cannot imagine using a non VR lens now I have been spoilt by its advantages.
How low will you drop your shutter speeds with VR? I dont go below 1/60th as i know i cant hold the camera steady. I also whant to work on my panning this year.