WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

D2 RAW files in Photoshop

Old 17-09-06, 13:43

Default D2 RAW files in Photoshop

Does anyone know of a plug-in that will allow me to view my RAW files in Photoshop? I've downloaded the latest camera RAW plug-in from Adobe but it won't work with my files from my D2Xs.
Old 17-09-06, 14:07

It seems native RAW format is different for all cameras hence a requirement for updates in ACR and other RAW converters. I notice ACR V3.3 was updated for D2X among other cameras and D2Xs is missing from the latest V3.4 update. I imagine this is the problem.

Have you tried Nikon Capture NX? - in my opinion THE RAW converter and image processing application for Nikon users.
Old 17-09-06, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox View Post
It seems native RAW format is different for all cameras hence a requirement for updates in ACR and other RAW converters. I notice ACR V3.3 was updated for D2X among other cameras and D2Xs is missing from the latest V3.4 update. I imagine this is the problem.

Have you tried Nikon Capture NX? - in my opinion THE RAW converter and image processing application for Nikon users.
Thanks Steven, I have downloaded Nikon Capture NX but was hoping I could do everything inside Photoshop as I think there's a conflict between the two programmes. (I seem to remember something about it when I installed it on my laptop.) I'm sure Adobe will get round to a V3.5 eventually.
Old 18-09-06, 10:55

After a bit of research I can confirm that ACR does not yet support D2Xs, apparently the file format is identical to the supported D2X but there is a metatag stating the origin of the file is from D2Xs. I am sure ACR is getting better but once is was frowned upon. I have tried Bibble, Capture One, RAW Shooter Essentials (RSE) and NX and I find the output from NX sharper with better colours especially skin tones. There is no conflict between Photoshop CS2 but possibily an overlap in features. I only use photoshop to resize and sharpen everything else is performed with NX.

We have a discussion about NX, link below.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1341
Old 18-09-06, 14:44

Another thing worth knowing.....Capture NX will dove-tail with your camera. All settings in-camera are just tags on the RAW file. When capture reads these they are then applied by your computer. To the best of my knowledge no other RAW converter can do this with Nikon RAW files (NEF's).

An example - if you set in camera sharpening to high all that is happening is the setting is recorded with image data. Once read by capture NX it applies this level of sharpening.

Another example is noise reduction - set to on or high in camera and the camera does nothing - NR is performed on the image data by NX.

These in camera setting are only performed by the camera when shooting JPEG.
Old 18-09-06, 20:38

I agree with everthing Foxy Bob has said. I stopped using Rawshooter essentials the moment I got NC4.4. I got NX the moment it was released, and would now regard for a Nikon owner, Rawshooter as a primitive way of handling NEF's even though it might be slighty faster in some respects.

Don
Old 19-09-06, 15:37

Thumbs up

Here you go AJDH . Link through DPR for Adobe Camera Raw 3.5 http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...ameraraw35.asp

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 19-09-06 at 15:41.
Old 28-09-06, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Here you go AJDH . Link through DPR for Adobe Camera Raw 3.5 http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...ameraraw35.asp

Don
Thanks Don. I just did that tonight and now everything is good.

Strangely I did not get an email notice of your post. It could be my email provider, I've had quite a few problems of late.