WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

What software for processing Raw

Old 05-07-07, 13:01
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsnapper View Post
Hi Horace. I converted to RAW a little while ago and won't shoot using anything else when using Canon. I use Raw Shooter Essentials and find it very good (much better than Canons DPP, which put me off RAW at first). RSE is a free download and worth trying (Google Raw Shooter Essential - it's now owned by Adobe).
Just in case other Canon users are looking at this, I find Canon DPP 3 excellent and does, eg, all Clive says Lightroom does; it is 95% intuitive, so may not suit untintuitive types, I suppose Photoshop must actually suit somebody, and I do sometimes finish off in PSE4 to level up or host FocusMagic or NeatImage plug-ins where Layers are useful, about all that is lacking in DPP.
Old 05-07-07, 16:25

Please excuse my ignorance but will I be able to convert my jpeg files to tiff
format with any of these software programs ?
thanks
Stephen
Old 05-07-07, 16:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
thanks
Stephen
Stephen,

You can certainly do this with Photoshop Elements, and other variants of Photoshop. You can't do this with any of the raw convertor programs that I've used, can't speak for NX here though.

Duncan
Old 05-07-07, 17:46
Chris

Quote:
thanks
Stephen
For what its worth you can do with DPP, so I imagine you can with NX. I slightly wonder why you would want to as part of the idea of RAW is that it is, like tiff, lossless, in fact more so because the camera has saved far more info in a RAW file than is needed for any single extraction of the image. It could be useful for further manipulations in programme other than PS; PS keeps changed items going lossless in .PSD format; only problem is that each layer is as big as a .tiff file. I might occasionally do it to carry out very large cut-and-paste operations (eg replacing one face in a group from another image where the guy moved and its not a tri-pod identical base pic) which I would do in mac-only 'Color-it' as you can perform all manipulations on a selection 'live' over the base, maybe other PC progs work similarly.

Sorry for ever having called you Horace, Stephen!
Old 06-07-07, 14:18

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I use DPP and am happy with it. I wish it had a rotate tool included but other than that the new version is pretty good.
Old 06-07-07, 15:04

Bibble converts JPG to TIFF, but then so does just about everything that has much to do with images.
Old 06-07-07, 15:56

Quote:
thanks
Stephen
You will be able to do it Horace but this is normally done the other was around - save the tiff after processing (assuming you shoot in RAW) and then 'save as' to a jpeg if required. If you save to a compressed jpeg and then save this to a tiff you will not get any better quality than the original jpeg.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 06-07-07, 17:07

Thanks for the replies re jpeg to tiff format.My thinking here is that some of my better jpeg files could be converted to tiff to avoid loss of detail over time that you get with jpeg files.Is this thinking logical ??
rgds
Stephen
Old 06-07-07, 19:00
Chris

Quote:
Thanks for the replies re jpeg to tiff format.My thinking here is that some of my better jpeg files could be converted to tiff to avoid loss of detail over time that you get with jpeg files.Is this thinking logical ??
rgds
Stephen
You only get loss if you continually re-save. If you do a try-out edit of a .jpg file, 'save as' with a modified name. However if you started with a RAW file, it is that that you keep safe and backed up, as you can always generate another .jpg or tif from it. On screen you can't see any difference between a 1st generation .jpg and .tiff. For top quality printing, it may make a difference, but it is better still to print from the original RAW file (as edited) and direct from the conversion programme.

I am used to Canon DPP, which saves your last edit settings along with the RAW info & has excellent print preview; I get the impression NX is an even better (paid for) prog.
Old 06-07-07, 19:25

photoshop cs3, y anything else? you open it, process it, and there it is in ps, dnt see the point in opening in 85 different raw programs to finally put in ps.. cs3 is the shniz...its why they made it