WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Delete exif info in case you need

Old 23-01-10, 13:50

Default Delete exif info in case you need

Ok guys

This is the secret...

1) make the shot
2) make a jpg image from lightroom
3) make a new empty file of the same size in photoshop
4) copy and paste your image in the new file and save....

ALL THE EXIF INFO WILL BE GONE
Old 23-01-10, 18:54

Can you explain why this might be needed?
Old 23-01-10, 21:27

Let say that personally I think the exif info are really usefull.... but sometimes you may have the need, who know.
People is strange! :-)
Old 23-01-10, 22:28

...or alternatively, just 'save for web' in Photoshop.
Old 24-01-10, 00:23

I may have said it beore here but EXIF is odd. Quite a number of people hold it in awe or at least impart some mythical status to it and believe that it holds the secret to all photographic mysteries.

Personally I don't see the point as it tells you precious little about a shot that you couldn't glean from an evening of reading a book. If a shot looks blurry it was taken hand held with too long a exposure, it its out of focus with too wide an aperture. Action shots are taken with a fast shutter speed, flowing water with a slow one what more is there to say?

Some think that possession of a jpeg with EXIF has some proof of ownership in law. It does not, anyone can add their own EXIF to a jpeg.

OTOH you can put contact and attribution details into the EXIF data. Deliberate removal of which is an offense in the US under the DMCA. All my shots have contact and attribution data.

ADDENDUM: Some cameras stick GPS data and other personal information into EXIF. Some people can well do without that.

Last edited by walwyn; 24-01-10 at 00:25.
Old 24-01-10, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
I may have said it beore here but EXIF is odd. Quite a number of people hold it in awe or at least impart some mythical status to it and believe that it holds the secret to all photographic mysteries.

Personally I don't see the point as it tells you precious little about a shot that you couldn't glean from an evening of reading a book. If a shot looks blurry it was taken hand held with too long a exposure, it its out of focus with too wide an aperture. Action shots are taken with a fast shutter speed, flowing water with a slow one what more is there to say?

Some think that possession of a jpeg with EXIF has some proof of ownership in law. It does not, anyone can add their own EXIF to a jpeg.

OTOH you can put contact and attribution details into the EXIF data. Deliberate removal of which is an offense in the US under the DMCA. All my shots have contact and attribution data.

ADDENDUM: Some cameras stick GPS data and other personal information into EXIF. Some people can well do without that.

Good points.... actually to me exif are usefull to myself in order to learn from my own mistakes... i never check exif of others photos. I check the final result not exif.
Old 25-01-10, 14:22

Personally I manage quite well without it, and to be honest I don't see a use for it other than to give other people my info. The way I see it is if you need details of a shot you took then you're not familiar with your own equipment or your own photographic technique. If it's a snap shot, then does it matter anyway ?

nirofo.
Old 25-01-10, 14:31

Exactly.... it helps me to understand my own equipment better!
Old 25-01-10, 15:03

I think it emanates from the photo mags and books. They always put (f5.6 1/125) next to all the photos they printed. As if it mattered one way or another. I wondered for a bit if I was missing something important in these numbers, but soon realized it was just what we would nowadays call a thing with geeks and numbers.

Its perpetuated in the photo cataloging programs which make a great play on being able to index on shutter speed or f-stop. I really want to collect together all the photos I ever took at F11 - NOT. You can get programs that will go through your hard disk and report back on your average shutter speed (yawn zzzzz). What you can't get is program that will show you all the Dragonfly photos you took in Northamptonshire. Well they will but the method they use to allow you to tag them in multiple ways is awful.
Old 12-08-10, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtphotoasiA View Post
Ok guys

This is the secret...

1) make the shot
2) make a jpg image from lightroom
3) make a new empty file of the same size in photoshop
4) copy and paste your image in the new file and save....

ALL THE EXIF INFO WILL BE GONE
This is an awkward and bad method. JPEG is a lossy format. Each time one resaves JPEG photo, more of the image quality is lost. To do it right and fast, you better off using specialized software, like this freeware to remove exif data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
What you can't get is program that will show you all the Dragonfly photos you took in Northamptonshire. Well they will but the method they use to allow you to tag them in multiple ways is awful.
This is under active research. Hopefully such technology will get mature and available soon.