WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Memory

Old 07-03-07, 13:31

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA
Default Memory

I posted on Bf about a message that I'm sometimes getting "Insuffcient memory Cannot open file" but only got limited information back. It only happens when I'm PP'ing RAW images in DPP not when I'm opening a file.
It has been suggested that I buy more memory but I'm not 100% clear on what i need. Looking at online adds I seem to need to know how many pins I need. Presumably the shop will know that if I tell them the make and model computer?
If I buy memory, am I buying additional memory or am I replacing the memory that's already in the computer. I have 256 mb physical memory which means that at times I drop down to 15 mb of available memory and I assume that's when the problem is occuring. I can certainly afford to buy another 256 mb (assuming it is add-on and not replacement). Would that seem sufficient or do I need to go higher? How tough is it to install? I've changed other components in computers without difficulty but this will be the first ime for memory.Thanks!
Old 07-03-07, 14:00

Gasp!

I'm not surprised you are getting "insufficient memory" messages if you are processing raw files on a machine with only 256MB of RAM.

There are many different types of memory available and you need to get some that is compatible with your motherboard. There's more to it than hte number of pins, there's different types and speeds of memory that have the same number of pins. Depending on the make and model of your machine, the shop may be able to tell what kind you need, but don't be surprised if they need to take a look at it.

As for the "add or replace" issue, it all depends on how many memory slots your PC has, and how many of those have been filled by the memory you have fitted. If all your slots are full, you will have to throw away what you have to fit some bigger stuff. If you have spare slots, you may be able to fit more memory in the unused slots.

The good news is that, if you have free, usable slots, and you can buy the appropriate type of bigger memory, it is a doddle to add new memory modules.

I suggest you post some further information on what kind of PC you have, ideally listing the brand and model of motherboard you have fitted. A photo of the inside of your PC showing the memory slots would help. There are software tools, SiSoftSandra springs to mind, that can diagnose the type of motherboard/memory you have that will help you pick the correct replacement.

With a bit of luck, nirofo will be along to offer some further advice, he seems to be our expert in this area.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 07-03-07, 14:14

Thanks, Duncan! Very helpful. I think that a call to the store where I bought the computer, a Compapc Presario 6000, might make sense before i do anything else. Hopefully they will be able to give me some info. i'll get back to you shortly. I don't want to take the computer in to them because it'll be gone for a least a week and cost about $75 just to look.
Old 07-03-07, 14:20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl View Post
If I buy memory, am I buying additional memory or am I replacing the memory that's already in the computer.
Could be either. Motherboards ususlly have 2, 3 or 4 slots for RAM and it dependes on what is installed and how many slots are already in use. For example if your board has 2 slots with 128Mb sticks of RAM in each you will have to go down the replace route. If you have 2 slots with 1 x 256Mb stick then you could just buy additional. If you open up the case you should be able to see how many slots you have and how many are free.

Quote:
Looking at online adds I seem to need to know how many pins I need. Presumably the shop will know that if I tell them the make and model computer?
Shop assistant know what they're talking about Must be different in Canada Dan. When you open up the case, take out the existing RAM and it usually will have a lable on it which tells you what sort it is - whether it is DDR or DDR2, probably DDR, number of pins 168/184 etc, speed either in Mhz 333/400 etc or as PC 2700/3200 (Mhz x 8 = PC ) and CL2.5/3 etc. You must match DDR type & number of pins (otherwise it wont go into your board) and usually CL as well. Speed - again try to match but if the new is faster your mother board will limit.

Quote:
I can certainly afford to buy another 256 mb (assuming it is add-on and not replacement). Would that seem sufficient or do I need to go higher?
It depends on your file sizes and the more RAM you've got the better things will work. My recommendation would be to aim for 1Gb of RAM if you can - in UK you can get 2 x 512 sticks for ~£50

Quote:
How tough is it to install? I've changed other components in computers without difficulty but this will be the first ime for memory.Thanks!
Dead easy There is usually just a clip at either end on the slot, flick them back, remove the old RAM (if necessary), line up the new sticks - they will only go in one way round - and press them down firmly. Often the clips will automatically click back, but if not ease them back. Reboot and your machine should fly.
Old 07-03-07, 14:22
Super Moderator

Duncan - you beat me to it - I must learn to be more concise
Old 07-03-07, 14:48

This is embarrassing to admit but I can't even get the b***dy case open!
The store has in-store techs and they say that if I bring the computer in, they will check what I nedd while I wait. So that is what i'm going tio do. My wife will probably be unimpressed but i need to do something. Hopefully they won't charge me much for doing that.
I'll let you all know what develops, meanwhile thanks for the replies.
Old 07-03-07, 14:57

Quote:
Thanks, Duncan! Very helpful. I think that a call to the store where I bought the computer, a Compapc Presario 6000, might make sense before i do anything else. Hopefully they will be able to give me some info. i'll get back to you shortly. I don't want to take the computer in to them because it'll be gone for a least a week and cost about $75 just to look.
Dan,

From a quick Google, it would appear that a Compaq Presario 6000 has 2 memory slots and takes 266MHz DDR memory. How much capacity the motherboad can handle in total, and how big each slot can take seems to vary depending on which particular 6000 model you have. If you have the handbook for the PC it should say in there. It would appear that even the lowest spec 6000 models can take a 512MB module in each slot and cope with a max total of 1GB. Given the age of the machine, even the slowest of modern 266MHz memory modules should be able to work with this motherboard.

If you want to fit 1GB of memory, you would have to throw away your current 256MB module to fit the two off new 512MB modules. Fitting a single 512MB module in your current spare slot would give you 768MB of memory.

Unless money is particularly tight, I'd second Clive's suggestion and get 1GB. When it comes to photo processing, you need a lot of memory.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
Old 07-03-07, 14:59

Quote:
This is embarrassing to admit but I can't even get the b***dy case open!
Compaq cases are like that, I used to have one. Look for the green plastic catches. Once you've found them, it will ping off very easily.
Old 07-03-07, 15:06

Click on the link for "scan my system"

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...m+4+processors)

it should be able to report what kind of memory you have.
Old 08-03-07, 11:00

The memory you need is DDR266 SDRAM. Beware though I used to work for compaq and their machines at that time needed matching memory modules if more than 1 was installed i.e. 2 lots of 256mb. This may have changed now however but please check with the sales person before buying so that if your memory isn't compatible you can return it fuss free. This won't be a problem if if you are replacing your current memory with say a 1gb module just be aware that the 256 may not work along side it.