WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Lighting issue - Profoto B1 off-camera flash kit – sequence of photos, movement

Old 31-10-15, 20:55

Default Lighting issue - Profoto B1 off-camera flash kit – sequence of photos, movement

I'm going to be photographing a footballer doing a trick with a ball (called around the world, ref:*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1l1nfKK5M) and I need to photograph a sequence, of about 5 images while he's doing that. I'm using a Nikon D700, I was advised to photograph using a shutter of about 1/1000 sec and using Profoto B1 off-camera flash kit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...monolight.html).

The trouble I'm having is the flashes do not recycle fast enough, so when shooting a fast sequence the lights are uneven, or don't fire. I found that you can use the flashes in a Quick Burst Mode, which means the following:*When the output is set to three stops below full power, you will empty 1/8 of the tank with every flash, which means that you can flash eight consecutive times with almost no delay in between.

When setting the camera to the flash/bracketing option of 1/135 which allows me to photograph on any chosen shutter speed with flash, and shooting on a range between 1/500-1000 sec, the flashes lock to the range 8-10 (10 is max) and I can't reduce them any more than two stops, the Air TTL-N remote switches into the high sync mode - and still flashes don't recycle fast enough and are uneven if I attempt to shoot a sequence.

I'm really struggling to find a solution to this, so I would appreciate any advise on the above and how I can improve the situation and the set up to get this right. The location of the photoshoot means I won't be able to plug into the mains.