WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Curves

Old 04-05-06, 21:09
Super Moderator

Thanks Pol I have downloaded it and having a play.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 04-05-06, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
Thanks Pol I have downloaded it and having a play.
Have fun - it can be very addictive once you get going.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures showing what I've been doing with it so far.

They're not 'arty' like the ones from Stephen. What I did was to take a series of shots a different exposures then i merged them to create a .hdr image which I then tone-mapped aiming to bring out the details of both the sky AND the dark areas.

The exposures of the original shots ranged from under-exposed to over-exposed .. with reading taken a) from the sky and b) from the darkest areas -then shooting a short series with 1.5 stop intervals between shots.

What I did *wrong* in the shot of the yew tree was to take too long over the series of shots so the final image shows the movenment in the clouds 'cos I'd underestimated the breeze.

The one in the graveyard didn't have so much cloud movement - but it wouldn't have been possible to get so much sky detail AND church detail if I hadn't shot a series and created the HDR image and the tone mapped it.

Hope that all makes sense.. I'm not exactly techie, nor am I a very experienced photographer.

Two images attached - content is nothing special but they show something of how you can get extra detail in light/dark areas of the same image

Pol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tcyew.jpg (180.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg gryd-tcweb.jpg (185.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-05-06, 21:48
Super Moderator

Polly I notice you don't have the watermark all over the photo's have you removed them.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 04-05-06, 21:57

Quote:
Don I notice you don't have the watermark all over the photo's have you removed them.
Did you mean to ask me about the watermarks? (you addressed the posting to Don)

I've bought the plugin so mine is registered therefore there are no longer any watermarks on my saved images.

Pol
Old 04-05-06, 22:01
Super Moderator

Sorry Polly My mind is going I had better correct that. I looked at the price and thought I would just play for now.

Old 04-05-06, 22:07

Quote:
Sorry Polly My mind is going I had better correct that. I looked at the price and thought I would just play for now.

S'ok. I have 'senior moments' myself but don't tell anyone.

Aye, I agree it's worth playing about with it for a while before you decide whether or not to buy it. It works out at about £48.18 with the VAT added so be sure you're likely to want to use it - or maybe share the use of it with other members of the family who use the same PC and/or laptop.

Pol
Old 05-05-06, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyG
Have fun - it can be very addictive once you get going.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures showing what I've been doing with it so far.

Two images attached - content is nothing special but they show something of how you can get extra detail in light/dark areas of the same image

Pol
Hi Pol,

Thanks for posting those. The church pic really does show how much extra detail you can get. I am having a bit of a play with D-Lighting in Nikon Capture and am amazed at the amount of shadow detail that it is capable of bringing out.

Don
Old 06-05-06, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Hi Pol,

Thanks for posting those. The church pic really does show how much extra detail you can get. I am having a bit of a play with D-Lighting in Nikon Capture and am amazed at the amount of shadow detail that it is capable of bringing out.

Don
If you, Saphire or anyone else is interested - I'm attaching a screenshot showing the source images and the CS2 'merge to .hdr' interface for the church/graveyard image.

The merged image, seen on the right, was then opened in CS2 then tone-mapped with the photomatix plugin to produce the final image which I'd attached to my earlier posting.

As I said - the content isn't anything special but the opportunity had presented itself for me to set up in a quiet corner where I could try out a series of shots for experimenting with .hdr and tone-mapping.

I used spot metering - took a reading from the sky and a second reading from the darker wall - then took 5 shots with one stop intervals (as seen in the attached source image)

Dimensions are approx. 1000 x 735 pixels as that was necessary to show the full CS2 interface and source images.

Pol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merged-to-hdr.jpg (133.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by PollyG; 06-05-06 at 10:00.
Old 06-05-06, 10:44

Firstly, let me apologise to Don for hijacking his thread, these things are sometimes like chinese whispers and the subject seems to end up totally different to how it started out

Pol, I seem to be having a problem with the way in which CS2 is blending your images in the example you have shown. The sky in the blended preview still seems burnt out in places, whilst the the shot taken at 0.0EV seems to look pretty good in the sky area. In fact the preview looks much like the one in the +2.0EV. So whats going on here? Could it be modified by switching off one of the images at the extremes for example. The sky area in the example you posted earlier in the thread seems much better to me, was that produced in the same way or is that the result of applying tonemapping to the resulting HDR image. If so I would argue that some of the tone we see in that other example is the grey infill that the plugin seems to apply to blown highlights.
Old 06-05-06, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Firstly, let me apologise to Don for hijacking his thread, these things are sometimes like chinese whispers and the subject seems to end up totally different to how it started out

Pol, I seem to be having a problem with the way in which CS2 is blending your images in the example you have shown. The sky in the blended preview still seems burnt out in places, whilst the the shot taken at 0.0EV seems to look pretty good in the sky area. In fact the preview looks much like the one in the +2.0EV. So whats going on here? Could it be modified by switching off one of the images at the extremes for example. The sky area in the example you posted earlier in the thread seems much better to me, was that produced in the same way or is that the result of applying tonemapping to the resulting HDR image. If so I would argue that some of the tone we see in that other example is the grey infill that the plugin seems to apply to blown highlights.
I must admit I'm usually rather intriqued by what the CS2 merger coughs up in the initial preview. The histogram can of course be altered at the preview stage, though I've usually opened the unaltered preview version, converted to 16bit then used the "equalize histogram" or "local adaptation" - then done the tone-mapping.

The graveyard image is tone-mapped - that's how I retrieved the blue area above the roof..... after all, the components are there in the .hdr they are retrievable.

The Yew tree and churchyard were my first and only experiments at shooting a specific series (apart from that gate latch series) so I can't really claim to be any sort of expert.

I think maybe what I have concluded is that 3 shots at 1.5 or 2 stop intervals would probably be enough though - I reckon that should cover sufficient range. I think I probably overdid it with 5 and might be better trying bracketing another time.

What I actually did was started shooting with the shutter speed set at the reading from the sky - then worked down in 1 stop intervals until I reached the reading from the dark wall.

I suppose I could also convert the RAWs to 8bit jpgs then see what happenes if I create the hdr in the Photomatix basic freeware..... though the picci is just so boring I'm not sure if it's worth the bother.

I'd rather try to have another attempt only somewhere and something more interesting.

Pol