WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

DOF, camera shake and macro work

Old 21-12-05, 15:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
Errrmmm, there's only one attachment Pete. You'll have to split over 2 posts anyway (max. 5 attachments per post). I'm very interested to see the results.

Duncan.
The one photo is made up of strips from the the 7 I took, the aperture decreasing from left to right...
Old 21-12-05, 15:26

Thanks Pete. Think I might even print this off and laminate it on a small card as a quick reference.
Old 21-12-05, 16:43

Hi again ... a few comments on tripods and flashes.

What works best in tripods (for me anyway) is one without a center column and that has a low minimum height with the legs collapsed. One where the legs splay out allowing you to get just a few inches above the ground is helpful as well. I find that most of my macro shots are low to the ground with me actually sitting or laying on the ground. Of course, 95% of my shots are nature.

For a flash, those expensive dedicated ring flashes are not required. A good reflector can do a lot or a regular flash (sometimes mounted off camera with a bracket) can frequently add a bit of light without harsh shadows (use a diffuser - thin paper works).

You don't have to get the equipment that allows to to get every shot. It's OK to miss a shot now and then.
Old 21-12-05, 16:56

On depth of field - don't forget that DOF works as a percentage (sort of) of distance from the subject. With a 50mm lens at f/4 and 1 foot you may have a DOF of under 1/16 inch. But at f/4 and 10 feet that becomes 2 feet.

An online DOF calculator is at: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Last edited by jseaman; 21-12-05 at 17:07.
Old 21-12-05, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaman
An online DOF calculator is at: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
The wonders of the web. Great link.

Don
Old 21-12-05, 18:38
Super Moderator

I don't think that trying to show DOF at various apertures worked very well using the CD cover, so I've given it another go - hopefully this one will make it a bit clearer. All taken using my EOS350D and a Sigma 105 macro, at a distance of approx 9 inches - then peeled, chopped and mashed together...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dof.jpg (94.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 21-12-05, 19:06

Just my twopennies worth, I've been shooting macro for many years. I now use the Canon 100mm & Sigma 180mm, for illumination I use a lastolite softbox attached to my Sigma flash gun. Would love the Canon twin light macro flash, but find it to be a little to expensive.

As for tripods I kicked the Benbo Trekker into touch, it's a very versatile tripod but a bit of a pig to set up. I recently purchased a Giottos Innovator Tripod MT 9170 which I find to be far superior to the Benbo and equally as versatile + it's also perfect for my canon 10D with the Bigma attached.
Old 21-12-05, 20:34

I know a guy who uses tin-foil as a reflector for lots of his macro work, mainly plants/toadstools. Anyone else tried this technique?

Im also looking for a tripod that hugs close to the ground for low angle and macro shots.

Good work on the DOF image example, Pete.
Old 21-12-05, 21:04

The Giottos will do this for you. the center column is removable, which then exposes a three way head into which you re-insert the center column. Then with the legs being adjustable to three different positions allowing close proximity to the ground. Have a look here, where you can see all the various positions obtainable with this tripod
http://www.giottos.com/eng_public/frameset.htm.

I use the Innovator Tripod MT 9170, you can also buy a similar one made from carbon fibre
Old 21-12-05, 21:24

Thanks for the link wolfie; not sure if its me, but im not seeing the Innovator MT9170. I'll keep trying