WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Night time photography

Old 29-12-05, 21:51

Raisins are the thing. Its the fact that they are sweet. Once tasted by a badger they will ignore peanuts until all raisins are gone.

They only started digging our lawn up after squirrels started burying peanuts. Untill then no holes at all. Don't forget to leave out water as well. They normally get all their liquid from eating earthworms, so if ground is hard they suffer from lack of water. In a hot dry summer lack of water can kill more than any one other thing.

Let us know how you get on with the tweaks.

Don
Old 30-12-05, 04:37

Thanks Duncan, have copy & pasted. Today here in Oz in Eastern Victoria it is 38 degree celsius with a hot northerly wind, so winter solstice sounds ok today... regards embe
Old 19-01-06, 13:49

Default Night time photography - owls

I want to try some night photography of our local owls, however in order to get the camera (Canon 20D + 100-400 L IS + 550EX Flash) to autofocus I need to illuminate the owls. I am thinking of purchasing a head torch as that way it will leave my hands free for the camera.

Before I spend £40 to 60 I was wondering if anyone else had used a head torch and if so what make/light output/bulb type/etc they could recommend.

Thanks,

Robin
Old 19-01-06, 15:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Turner
I want to try some night photography of our local owls, however in order to get the camera (Canon 20D + 100-400 L IS + 550EX Flash) to autofocus I need to illuminate the owls. I am thinking of purchasing a head torch as that way it will leave my hands free for the camera.

Before I spend £40 to 60 I was wondering if anyone else had used a head torch and if so what make/light output/bulb type/etc they could recommend.

Thanks,

Robin
Can you use manual focus? If the owls are perched in the same places then you can setup your gear and get the manual focus right using your torch even before the owls get there. If you use a wide aperture, with the resulting large depth of field, you may be able to estimate the range sufficently well.
Old 19-01-06, 22:21

I purchased a Rolson head torch at a farmers market.cost £10.It has one bright yellow light,and it can be changed to a blue light(3 small bulbs make the blue light and one for the yellow) 4 bulbs in all.Haven't used it yet,it is for the summer when I take shots of the moon across the sea,late in the evening.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 20-01-06, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f
Can you use manual focus? If the owls are perched in the same places then you can setup your gear and get the manual focus right using your torch even before the owls get there. If you use a wide aperture, with the resulting large depth of field, you may be able to estimate the range sufficently well.
Frank, I do understand from a birding collegue that owls regularly use the same perch and so your idea would work, in fact it would probably be better than using a torch directly on the owl, however, at present I am not familair enough with my local owls to know which perches they use. I will try a headtorch to begin with and then try your method when i am more familiar with their regular perches.

Thanks,

Robin