WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Noise grain removal software

Old 26-09-06, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
Open Nikon Capture NX, go to Adjust in the top menu bar, select Noise Reduction from the drop down menu!

nirofo
Thank you.
Old 28-09-06, 16:59

The excellent Neat Image is available as a plug-in for Paint Shop Pro and for Photoshop, but it works just fine stand alone too. I can call it up from inside PSE or PSP but hardly ever do: mostly I like the simplicity and speed of using it stand alone. Great program, I heartily recommend it.
Old 28-09-06, 17:20
Chris

Default neat image?

I am slightly puzzled by the popularity of this prog, admittedly having only tried the free version which only works on max 1024x768 image, ie not on a full size one. Apart from that, it didn't seem to do anything that careful use of median didn't do, ie noise reduction is still at the expense of sharpness.

As noise is usually only bothersome on large areas of (should be) same colour, the median or similar noise reduction filter can be applied on only the selected area

Am I missing something?
Old 28-09-06, 23:08

Noise doesn't have to be visible and obvious to detract from picture quality. The extra clarity and punch to be gained from subtle use of Neat Image (and, I assume, other similar programs) can be quite significant. At 100 ISO or 200, it's rarely worth using NR software, but at 400 and up it's a great help. Visibly better pictures. no loss of detail: I couldn't live without it!
Old 29-09-06, 01:40

I had shot an entire airshow at iso1600 and i whant to try and salvage some of my photos.
Old 29-09-06, 09:00
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes View Post
I had shot an entire airshow at iso1600 and i whant to try and salvage some of my photos.
Have you compared notes with en830? Your 2 boxkite pics look as if they were taken within seconds of each other. I note your keeness to keep the sky colour 'as it really was' and I am very sympathetic to correct reportage. Maybe you end up with 2 versions, the reportage for your memory and an edited version that makes 'a good image' which seems to need a threshold quota of colour and contrast as well as good subject to be popular

Assuming you were shooting RAW I would imagine you have far better control in Capture on which there seem to be a number of experts and a discussion thread
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...ead.php?t=1341
whereas I only had a brief dabble in the older version yet enough to see it goes for precise and comprehensible tools
Old 29-09-06, 15:53

I had upped my iso for the Old Warden everning show and forgot to turn it down for Sywell the next day.
I may well have been standing near En830 but i did not realise.
Old 29-09-06, 21:32

A shot I took this evening at 6.30 pm with the last light of the day. ISO 1600.
I am no expert with neat image and I often use the default camera profile. Apart from cleaning up the image a bit I find the main benefit is to get the file size down for the web. I have given the 2 images identical processing in PS except one was noise reduced first. I am sure if you wanted to fiddle in neat image for hours you could get better results.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:34.
Old 29-09-06, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes View Post
Can anyone recommend any free software for removing noise from photos please?
Hi Ollie, I downloaded free version of Neat Image, was that impressed I purchased it, hope you don't mind I have run one of your pics through Neat Image, looks like it has done a good job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc_1342_filtered.jpg (244.8 KB, 17 views)
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).
Old 30-09-06, 00:24

I have no problems with that Nick. Im going to try that and run some of my Gransden photos through it.