WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Vista, fiesta; Finally

Old 31-01-07, 10:33

Go, go, go ... CEO
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31931514285011
Old 31-01-07, 22:00

The first job with purchasing Vista is firstly to decide which version you require. At last count I believe there were 7 versions.

I know two people who both bought laptops which were labelled as "Vista ready" neither has been able to get Microsoft's new OS working successfully as many of the drivers required are still not available.
So, what does "Vista ready" mean?

One of the guys destroyed his installation disc in a ritually inferno.

At least wait for Service Pack 2!!
Old 31-01-07, 22:23

A couple of guys in our office are gamers. They were looking at some website that gave frame rates for games run under Vista. All of the games showed a decrease in frame rate. So even the gamers will be unhappy with this OS aimed at them.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 26-02-07, 09:12

If you were in a need for at least one reason whether or not switch to Vista, check here: Waring: Be ready for familiar bleb blebs in between)

L I N K-1

Otherwise if you need a taste of it, have a look here:

L I N K - 2

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 26-02-07, 13:21

If you believe everything Micrsoft tells you then you'll believe anything. Many of the computer forums and systems repair trade are saying what a piece of bloated spyware full, complete with dangerous holes, so-called operating system crap it is. Many full spec 'NEW' computers are struggling to run it, last years computers can forget it unless they can find updated drivers for all their hardware, less than 1Gb RAM, struggling? As for software, nearly all the software companies are either having to write updates so that existing software will run correctly, or are having to issue completely new software to replace it. If that is progress then I think I'll live in the dark ages for 12 to 18 month's until the first Vista service pack comes out, we'll see then. Windows XP Pro and all my hardware and software works very well for me at the moment, I don't see any reason to change it yet! I've already tried Vista, had many problems and ditched it to go back to XP after 4 days of frustration. At the moment I'm recommending people I am repairing and building new systems for to stick with Win XP Pro.

nirofo.
Old 26-02-07, 13:38

And to think I was wanting a newer computer and of coarse Vista comes for the ride. I know Apple is really hitting hard at the new Vista. I guess I'll wait and see who wins.

"It's just one opinion and you know everyone's got one."
Old 27-02-07, 20:38

Almost every IT professional I've worked with in the passed recommended waiting until Microsoft get to at least service pack 2 (SP2) on a platform before installing it. At least by then the majority of serious holes should have been resolved.
Old 28-02-07, 03:46

Only being a partly mac user (And even then, very frustrate user every time), I know I am a totally PC personality individual . Well remembering form Windows 95, I know it is always irresistible not to go for the new OS, sooner if not later, no mater how much one tries to stay with the old. Anything new is always appealing and I never can find out why...

Few point I like to share:

- Vista is very memory hungry OS, so 1 GB ram is bare necessity, and in fact its 2 or more GB that you start to see the norm.

- Vista is a power monster. Don't try to put it on your laptop. You will be disappointed with the very shorten battery life (1/2 to 1/3 of regular life of time now you get with your XP). And if you thought of buying a new laptop with vista on it, think again. Battery industry is getting revolutionized as we talk and we soon will witness emerge of new batteries like never seen before. So to say, then vista may suffice for your through a trans-American flight. I would think the new batteries may not be compatible with current laptops, or even if so, then they will come at a significant price tag. So for now, if you are serious for converting to vista, think of putting it on your desktop.

- Expect a lot of soft and hard ware incompatibilities so if you have to keep what you have right now, you are much better off to have XP. This doesn't mean you have to stop getting Vista. You can partition you hard drive or better, if you have enough available IDE slots, you may add a new hard drive and put vista on it, so that way you can have the best of both worlds, going fast with new tech and then keeping the comfort of older peripherals or non compatible softwares.

- Vista is intense on graphics. You need a lot better video card than what is under the hood now. This is to bring out that special look of vista, for which it get a lot of admirers.

- Even in best hard ware conditions, expect the unexpected. Photo editing softwares such as photoshop, will be running slower no matter how good you hardware status is. So expect to see CS4 in near future.

- Vista due to securties incorporated has a tendency to create problem for your wireless connection specially if you are planning to use it in dorm or where you are dependent on an older ISP provider (Dont through out your XP disk yet, as I said have it on the second partition).

Well if you are sure you will never switch to Vista, then please be honest to me when questioning you in a year time.
MS had announce initially that Vista is the last OS they ever build as the next generation of machines will be independent of OS may be something similar to iphone or what ever it will be called after sue settles down. I am sure we will never be independent of uncle Bill or cousin's uncle Steve. MS soon changed their mind and current view is that the next MS OS will be out in 2 years. So if you think you will wait for all bugs to be terminated, think again or you may want to wait for a much longer time that you though.

Love to hear your point view of Vista if you are working with it or otherwise the rumors and news.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 28-02-07 at 03:57.
Old 28-02-07, 07:57

Your pointers seem to be in line with other opinions I've seen, and heard first hand from collegues who have switched. I'll stick with XP.

I was chatting with a friend the other day who asked if I'd switched to Vista, I said no for pretty much the reasons you have described above. We discussed some more and came to the conclusion we must be getting old because we no longer felt the need to be constantly upgrading our computer hardware or software. The wisdom of middle age.
Old 03-03-07, 11:29

Thought this was quite pertinent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6407419.stm