WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Virus checker stopping unothorised Visa up-load

Old 05-02-07, 20:43

It sound to me that you have too many utilities doing the same job.
It is not a good idea to run more than one anti-virus or firewall program as they can stop one another working correctly. Also they are all actively running at the same time, which can be counter productive.

I use AVG from Grisoft which can be down loaded free at http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
The ZoneAlarm firewall is another free piece of software which is very good, it can be downloaded at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp
Since using both of these products I've not had a virus or PC invasion.

Adaware is a useful program to detect spyware, I prefer this to most others as it seem to detect more and I also use Spybot, between them my pc seems to run un-invadered.

Another useful utility is HiJackThis which when run tells you exactly what programs are loaded at boot-up. You then have the option to stop programs which you think can be malicious from being loaded.
This is probably better in the hands of the more experienced user.

Steve
Old 05-02-07, 21:22

I agree with Steve as basically his suggestions are exactly what I do too. Including the use of AVG that I find as one the best antiviruses out there and for long, for free.
The last advise is not really needed as you always you can go to:
Start>run>type: msconfig>startup bar (Last option on the right top) and you see all the programs running at start up. I would check any suspicious name (The one that I am not familiar with) on yahoo or google, unselect all not needed (A good time to say good bye to a lot of harmless ones that just occupy the memory for no good reason). As Steve said be careful in doing so (Definitely do it at your own risk) as it is so easy to mess up the entire system here if you are not sure of what you are doing. Backing up the registry before doing any change is a definite step you want to undertake before going any further.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 05-02-07, 21:30
Super Moderator

Steve2005, I haven't made myself clear all I have running at one time is Trends pc-cillan which is an all in one package firewall and Anti spyware tool. Its is stopping any info being up-loaded to the web and is normally good at preventing downloads. The only thing I can think of something new was downloaded in between updates which is done every day. The other programs Adaware and spybot are not automatically loaded at start up and kept in memory. I just run them once a week to check everything is okay
None of the program other than the one nirofo recommended have found those files because its only a demo it doesn't delete them what also is strange when I rerun the program it didn't find the files the second time.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 05-02-07, 21:38

Hi Saphire

I'm afraid you're not running one of the best pieces of protection software, PC-cillin is known to miss the parts that others find ? A good and well respected protection package is by Kapersky, you can download trial versions at the following web address.

Hope this helps.

http://www.kaspersky.com/uk/trials

nirofo.
Old 05-02-07, 21:43
Super Moderator

Thanks nirofo I have just renewed my subscription to trend. I found it to be much better than and Norton and a few other well known brands. It had all the best writeups as well.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 05-02-07, 22:29

Christine
I would download and run HiJackThis as it will give you a complete run down of everything which is loaded. Sassan is right that you can use msconfig but this will not show everything.
You maybe able to detect the adverse programs which you have already identified through nirofo's recommended program and prevent them from running again.
Steve
Old 05-02-07, 22:57

Hi Saphire

Are you actually running a new installation of Windows Vista on a new or updated computer or XP on any computer, if you are running Vista then this is just Windows dialling home in an attempt to download the latest Bill Gates spy rubbish, if the thing pops up again, right click on it it and click stop (disable) download, this is a known event with windows downloads. One sure fire way to stop it is to disable windows update, you dont need it anyway, you can download the updates from various places without going anywhere near Microsoft. If you are using XP then I suggest you do the same as for Vista. I'm sure it's not a serious threat or you would see more action from your protection software. Webroot SpySweeper is extremely good at what it does and is well respected throughout the trade, it detects most attempts at changing the web addresses it has not been authorised to change, it also stops any new startup programs that have not been authorised. You need to make sure you run and update it regularly.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 05-02-07 at 23:05.
Old 05-02-07, 23:46
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I am running XP its was a new installation in Dec and up until last week I never had a problem. Its possible I have everything set up tight and thats why its coming up with more warnings and asking to allow the connection which I don't. I have just about checked everything, Hijack hasn't come up with anything suspicious I had forgotten about that program so thanks steve2005 for the reminder. I have even done a complete search for my any credit card No that could be hidden in a file and found nothing, which is a relief.

Old 06-02-07, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
A good and well respected protection package is by Kapersky, you can download trial versions at the following web address.

Hope this helps.

http://www.kaspersky.com/uk/trials

Why bother with trials when you can get the product this cheap?
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Softw...roductId=24067
£6.70 + £3.99 P&P

Bit of a bargain if you ask me.
Old 06-02-07, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions I am running XP its was a new installation in Dec and up until last week I never had a problem. Its possible I have everything set up tight and thats why its coming up with more warnings and asking to allow the connection which I don't. I have just about checked everything, Hijack hasn't come up with anything suspicious I had forgotten about that program so thanks steve2005 for the reminder. I have even done a complete search for my any credit card No that could be hidden in a file and found nothing, which is a relief.

Hi Saphire

Like I said, it is likely, especially as your XP is a new install, that Windows update has logged on to Windows updates web page to find the latest updates for your XP and is trying to download/install them, it does this in the background and only lets you know when it has what it thinks is updates you should have. If this is so you should see an icon appear in the bottom right of the taskbar, if you right click this icon there should be something in the menu to disable the update. If I were you I would disable windows automatic updates altogether, most of the stuff you don't need anyway!

Try this link for a utility to download Windows updates independantly.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...wnloader.shtml

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 06-02-07 at 16:02.