WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Digital Photo Professional (Canon)

Old 02-02-07, 00:01
Chris

Default Digital Photo Professional (Canon)

I am so impressed, I hope I can route existing and experienced users out of their hides and add a bit as I learn.

1: download Version 2.2 from Canon downloads site for your part of the world if the version bundled with your camera is an older one. Free

2: I see no problem over creating storage & back-up problems. If you shoot jpg and then also save an edited version, you can end up with bigger combined file size than the .CR2 file including saved 'recipe' or settings used during the edit. Say 7MB for the latter on 350D as opposed to original 3.3MB jpg and PS edited file same size or bigger. No need to keep ginormous .psd files for boss-shots where you daren't lose what you have already spent 1/2 hour doing, yet hope to do better.

3: there will be exceptions eg where a minor adjustment of horizontal is needed or something else that cannot be done within DPP, even that I think I would do on the final edition just before posting or whatever as it takes seconds and no sweat doing again later. What else useful can't it do, folks?

4: it strikes me that actually very little editing is needed and any regular edits can either be saved for batch operations or fed back into the camera 'parameters'. Editing takes seconds for each operation as the interface is so visual/intuitive, reset instant for each sub-section and before/after display available parallel.

NB I am using a mac and have a prog called GraphicConverter which I use for downloading from camera, all filing & slideshows; it is also fine for horizontal adjustment etc; I think there are PC equivalents to avoid using Ghastlies like Adobe Bridge or Canon Image Browser. Once in a folder, DPP has folder sorting+access and thumbnail displays (nice with basic f & shutter speed so you don't need to grub around in exif to know why/how you did 2 or 3 takes).
Old 05-02-07, 15:50

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I downloaded ver. 2.2 and I'm just as impressed as Chris. It's much easier to use and seems more comprehensive than the old version. In the past I preferred RAWShooter but now I'm going to switch completely to DPP. Save and convert seems a bit slow but I suspect that's my computer rather than the program.
I still have to figure out how to upload directly from my printer (with the built in card reader) to DPP.
I really need to settle to one simple way of doing things. I use either Picasa or HP Photosmart Premium for uploading my pictures from the card then have to open whatever editing program I want to use, DPP probably then switch to Photoshop 7 for some types of edits then sometimes to NeatImage. It's all just too complicated.
Old 05-02-07, 18:47
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl View Post
I still have to figure out how to upload directly from my printer (with the built in card reader) to DPP.
I really need to settle to one simple way of doing things. I use either Picasa or HP Photosmart Premium for uploading my pictures from the card then have to open whatever editing program I want to use, DPP probably then switch to Photoshop 7 for some types of edits then sometimes to NeatImage. It's all just too complicated.
I can't quite see why it needs to go to the printer, why not just from camera to computer using the USB cable provided with the camera. Can't help with best import/sort software for PC as I use mac. Once in a folder, DPP picks up the folder as thumbnails and you can then either toggle between 1 image in the main window and the thumbnails or open N pics to edit each in their own edit window. The latter if you have several needing the same basic 'recipe', tho no 2 of mine ever seem to.

Although you appear to be working on fine tuning the pic 'real time' you are actually working on a high quality preview and it is only when you 'convert and save' that it takes a bit longer. But you can stack them up and do a batch convert while you have supper & until you do convert, any number of images in the 'thumbnail' folder stay exactly as you left them.

DPP is very memory efficient as it leaves the .CR2 files on the hard-drive and only caches the 'recipe' or changes, ie 200-300k per image as far as I can see. (As opposed to PSE4 which grabs the entire RAM, cache and anything else it can get hold of, which apart from making it slower for other progs to get moving, probably also accounts for why it flattens a battery faster than all the others put together).

The next piece of cunning is to see what tweaks you do regularly (eg sharp or saturation + 1 or 2 points) and re-set them in a camera 'parameter' set. So sometimes you do nothing other convert and save or maybe crop.

Can't see much call for NeatImage if exposure was correct(ish) and you leave off the RGB edit panel or use it very sparingly.
Old 05-02-07, 21:42

The more I play with DPP the better I like it.
The pictures don't go to the printer but to the built in card reader. Its no different than using a stand alone reader. The reason Neatimage is sometimes needed is that a lot of noise can result from operations like magnifying or sharpening an image.
Old 07-02-07, 00:06
Chris

Having caught up with my RAW editing, I thought it worth trying out the RGB pane of DPP on some .jpgs - 350D, Pana FZ7 and Nikon E4500.

This part works on .tif and .jpg as well as any RAW that have not come out 100% just using the RAW pane. There is a histogram window that combines Levels and Curves in one go and interacts with brightness and contrast sliders+numeric readout, very fine tuning. Then there are sliders+numeric for saturation and sharpness, the former also feeding back to the histogram window.

Result: better all round on all 3 cameras than previous best efforts using PSE4 (or in some cases equivalent mac progs) on the fairly random samples tried. And done in a couple of minutes rather than, what, 10-20 minutes for a medium tricky PS edit...now just need to go back over the few thousand other images.

NB once again the working window is good preview and only saves on command, but includes full facilities ie toggle to 50,100, 200% views and before over after. It tends to underplay changes, but as it remains there exactly as left throughout the folder being edited, quite quick to go back for a final tweak and resave.

For reduced forum images, both full size and reduced can be generated consecutively, but with the original left full size in case when image is printed or posted, a final tweak does prove necessary. Likewise when proceeding to another folder, the editing recipe can be saved just as on RAW and the high precision cloning tool is still available (and auto dust removal if needed)
Old 07-02-07, 15:04

Yesterday I had a mixed bag of RAW and jpeg and processed them all through DPP. Very pleased with the result. The Trimming Tool solves the crop problem nicely.
If there was a text command I think I would abandon PS 7 almost entirely.
Old 12-02-07, 22:21

I got an E-mail from Canon saying that their Web site was being updated and for users to back-up their own photos,as they might/would be lost in change-over. hb.
Old 12-02-07, 22:25

P S this applies to Canon Image Gateway,,hope this is helpful...hb
Old 02-04-07, 15:23

DPP ver 3.0 is now available for download. They've added some NR function plus other features.
Old 02-04-07, 15:29
Super Moderator

On the Uk website they are still showing only ver 2.2
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.