WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Digital Photo Professional (Canon)

Old 05-04-07, 13:33

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

DPP still lacks one vital function and that is the ability to rotate an image. I don't mean flip 90 degrees but in increments so that images can be straightened. The other thing with the new NR controls is that they are limited to two levels rather than having true slider style control.
Chris!
Have you tried Noiseware? I don't know if it's available for Macs but is much quicker than Neatimage and does a reasonable job. If a search doesn't find it I can probably find a link although I think that I first heard of it on WPF.
Old 09-04-07, 08:51
Chris

The new crop feature in DPP 3.0 is even better than I noticed at first: if you do the crop first, subsequent full views only show the cropped part of the pic so it is much easier to do the RAW edit on the enlarged and relevent section, and, especially if it is a square crop or portrait, the window can be much larger too
Old 10-04-07, 19:30

I visited your gallery and posted a comment but it seemed to disappear. Perhaps I have to be a member of Pbase to post a comment.
Old 08-10-07, 13:17
Chris

Default Printing from DPP

Having done a lot more printing lately, I find DPP is also way ahead of any other prog that I have for accurate printing.(This may be slightly specific to my Epson printer)

1st in Preferences>colour management , the profile for ones actual printer & paper profile
can be selected in the drop-down menu

2nd print from the RAW file, test print say 70x70mm, which gives you 3 tests across an A4 sheet ON THE PAPER YOU ARE GOING TO USE

3rd any fine tuning of the brightness or colour bias (eg photos of black dogs ) can be altered very fine on the RAW, but this does not affect ability to return to last edit used for web display nor 'as shot' original

4th (Epson) In Colour management, set 'No colour adjustment'

The adjustments in RAW are infinitely more controllable than messing with CMYK sliders etc in the Epson printer control
Old 09-10-07, 11:54

I do very little printing but have not been happy with the bit that I have done, prints are darker than my monitor image. I've never used DPP for printing. I PP in DPP but then use a different program, Faststone, for file management and printing. I've tried calibrating my monitor/printer using the software that comes with the printer but I find it very difficult to do. A quick look at DPP's printing controls make it look quite promising, I'll definitely try printing that way.
Old 05-11-07, 14:27

DPP ver 3.2 is now available on the Canon USA site. I've downloaded it but haven't quite figured out what's new yet. The down loadable manual seems to be new as well.
Old 05-11-07, 19:18
Chris

the main new feature seems to be a lens abberation correction addition to the NR pane. It is blanked on my pics, which hopefully means you need a much worse lens for it to register...or it may be a 40D feature as it is also meant to be updated to cater for 40D. Haven't got mine yet, can't think why
Old 06-11-07, 15:21

You're right, that seems to be the main change. Disappointing! I was hoping for some sort of rotate function. The lens aberration thing is blanked for me too.
Old 09-11-07, 00:11
Chris

I am not 100% sure these features are new to 3.2, but the new manual tempted me to explore and find:
1 Quick check tool - enables slide show type run through CR2s and marker placement; useful when one has a lot of very similar ones to choose the best
2 Blown-highlight and dead-shadow area show-up in red. This is similar to a shifted operation in PS explained in Cambridgeincolour.com. Never wanted to use it myself
3 Really great - squared curves. Sounds daft, but converts curves which 'b-spline' thus causing unwanted effects beyond points, into jaggies. It is thus possible to first pinpoint exactly where a mod is needed then have the option of making the mod very local and without counter-effects further along. Tho maybe return to a nice smooth gentle curve after diagnosis stage; each pic varies
Only don't bother hunting in the manual for any detail on how to use.
Old 09-11-07, 11:46

I rarely use DPP as a RAW editor but have just downloaded v3.2. Main change for me is the Highlights/Shadow indicators. You can set your preferred values (default 255 and 0). Big downside to this is that there does not appear to be a way of keeping this feature permanently turned on - for each image you have to go into go into the view menu and tick both 'Highlights' and 'Shadows'. Once you close the image you are working on you have to go in and tick again for the next image.
For me DPP is a good RAW converter but compared to ACR and Lightroom I find the workflow quite painfull.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM