WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How often do you back-up your photo's

Old 01-01-06, 22:09

Mm - already saved a load of stuff to CD and deleted from my PC. Lots more to do though. My idea is to put all the originals on CDs and all the worked on stuff on CDs - then remove everything from my PC - then re-upload just the ones I really want to keep into folders and put them onto CDs - and also onto my laptop. That way I'll have the ones I don't want to lose in several places - plus a lot of them are on my web site and my works PC. I think that's covered all the options! Might just get an external hard drive though!!
It's so easy to get bogged down with too many pictures. I've got lots of swans to delete!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/sets/
Old 01-01-06, 22:36
Super Moderator

When I upload images I open them in capture 1 sort and name and put a date, delete all I don't want. Go back into my computer and move them all onto another hard disk which is split into folders, a to z for birds, and various folders for landscapes, mammals, ect. When I have enough images to fill a cd with say 3 Folders I then burn them to cd. I do this daily so as not to fill up my upload directory. Its take about 20 minutes if it is done on a regular basis. In some ways I wish I had put just one directory on one cd and left the cd open to add files but not got round to that not sure whether it would work. As it is I have to go through all the cd's with say a-c to find a particular file I want if I can't remember the date.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 01-01-06, 23:00

Christine you obviously an organised person and really that's what you need to be especially when shooting digital.
When I first started shooting digital over 5 years ago I followed a similar pattern saving to CD, but then I upgraded my equipment which resulted in 20-30Mb Tiffs and you don't get so many of those on a CD.

I eventually installed a couple of DVD writers to cope with the volume, unfortunately by this time I had become completely disorganised. So it's now time to bite the bullet and become organised again.
Old 02-01-06, 00:05
Super Moderator

Wolfie. I am not in the least bit organised I was just getting fedup when wanting to view new uploads. I found I couldn't view a photo until all the photo's in the folder was visible which took ages so if I only have to load in whats on the CF card say 100 its not so bad.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 02-01-06, 00:33

I did not attend that many last year actualy. But when i do go i will take 100s of photos. Just to be sure i get some good ones. I will often fill a 512 mb card and almost fill my 128mb card in 1 airshows worth of flying.
Old 02-01-06, 01:32

Interesting question this. I'm amazed how many of my friends, including professional photographers, fail to back up their work. Twice recently I have had to go through a disc recovery process to recover vital files from friends computers. Before I retired I worked in a technical enviroment where daily backup was mandatory and failure to comply could lead to discilinary action,and I must admit that I'm still a bit fanatical about it.

I have a PC with two innternal 160GB drives and three external 300GB drives drives. The only thing on the primary internal drive is the operatiing system and programme files. The three external 300GB drives are used for backup using a differential backup process. the second internal drive is used for "work in progress"

I organise my RAW files converted to dng into files called disc 1,2,3 etc, each disc is filled up until it contains 4.5GB when it is burned to DVD for archive purposes, using data verify in each burn. these disc are stored in a cool dark place as a last resort.

Each night I run an automated differential back up of my second nternal hard drive onto each of the external hard drives, one of which is stored in a different part of the house.

call me fanatical, but since I retired 9 months ago I have taken over 40,000 shots (thank God for the digital revolution) over a large part of Europe and replacing them would cost a fortune.

One advantage of Adobe bridge in CS2 is that by the use of approriate key words and keyword sets I can locate any of the pictures, either raw or porcessed in a matter of seconds, great stuff modern technology!!!
Old 02-01-06, 01:34

Eeek, and i thought i had to many copys.
Old 02-01-06, 02:11
Willowy1

Default Oh dear..erm!

Backup files? Oh my. I've never contemplated losing all my images before
Maybe I should think about getting a CD burner or something and saving all my stuff to that?
What is the cheapest way of doing this anyway? Is it to buy a cd burner or is there another way? My computer is quite old and doesn't run fast at the best of times (Windows 98SE) so maybe saving my images elsewhere would free up some disk space!!!!
Jo
Old 02-01-06, 02:15

I did say I was fanatical, but with external hard drives costing less than 50 pence per GB it does make sense. One friend recently managed to delete all his customer files. I managed to recover them for him, more by luck than judgement as I'd never had to do it myself before, and reckon my next years supply of Malt Whiskey is guaranteed. As they say " In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king "
Old 02-01-06, 02:17

The choice between an external hard drive is realy down to you, i use both myself.