WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Composition technique

Old 13-12-05, 19:55

Default Composition technique

One of the best composition tutorials I've found in recent times can be read here:
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Phot...mposition.html

There's a HUGE amount of web forums that discuss the minutiae of which item of equipment is better than which other very similar item of equipment. There’s very little discussion about composition. You could sit me down in front of the best concert grand piano in the world, but it wouldn’t make me a concert pianist. The same goes with photography, the person behind the lens has a far greater impact on the resulting image than the equipment in their hands. I learned much by reading this article and trying to put the ideas into practice.

Regards,

Duncan.
Old 14-12-05, 10:58

Hi Duncan
I totally agree with you. The techniques of photography are easy enough to learn but composition is less easy to quantify. I think that some people find it easier than others. I have been an artist all my life and composition has always played a big part in my thinking and what I see. Therefore the transition to photography was easy. The general rule of 2 thirds birds to one third background is a good one. Also when taking a photo think about what your focal point is and how the viewer is going to be led into and around the photo. When taking the photo leave room for experimenting with different crops/compositon within the one photo.
Old 15-12-05, 01:08

Annette

I think most us know when we have taken a good shot that "fits" a good composition with little effort. When you look at a subject which is more awkward are you able in most cases to find a good composition or are there a lot of times when you have to walk away and say it's no good.

Rob
Old 15-12-05, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Annette

I think most us know when we have taken a good shot that "fits" a good composition with little effort. When you look at a subject which is more awkward are you able in most cases to find a good composition or are there a lot of times when you have to walk away and say it's no good.

Rob
Rob I think you would be surprised the number of people that dont see the compositional value in photos. I think over time you amass knowledge and experience through merely doing it and you dont realise it. I dont think that it comes easily.
I think failures in photography are just as valid as successes and it is just as important that you realise when a photo just isnt worth taking.
Old 15-12-05, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette
Rob I think you would be surprised the number of people that dont see the compositional value in photos. I think over time you amass knowledge and experience through merely doing it and you dont realise it. I dont think that it comes easily.
I think failures in photography are just as valid as successes and it is just as important that you realise when a photo just isnt worth taking.
Spot on Annette! It certainly doesn't come easily. Also agree strongly that failures are important. The "Critique" sub section is the ideal place to discuss ones failures. It isn't easy to know what you've done wrong even though you know it isn't right. Having a fresh pair of eyes look at your work will usually give that insight. I found it v. useful to post there.

Duncan.
Old 13-01-06, 20:31

Duncan, thanks for the link. Very good story to read. I struggle a lot with finding good compositions. Problem is just that I shouldn't be looking for it. One of my own favorite pictures I just "snapshotted". It was snowing and I didn't want my camera out in the snow for too long.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=422

I should just go out and enjoy it more, rather than looking for the ultimate composition.

Danny.
Old 13-01-06, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv2
Duncan, thanks for the link. Very good story to read. I struggle a lot with finding good compositions. Problem is just that I shouldn't be looking for it. One of my own favorite pictures I just "snapshotted". It was snowing and I didn't want my camera out in the snow for too long.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=422

I should just go out and enjoy it more, rather than looking for the ultimate composition.

Danny.
Yes, you instinctively know when you've got a good shot right without studying the composition techniques. Everything about that photo looks just right

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 13-01-06, 22:55

this site has already been mentioned in the first post in this thread, but this is good reading material:
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Phot...ification.html

I've been reading it all evening!
Old 13-01-06, 23:04

I think that to some extent some compositions come naturally. Dv2 you may well have just snapped the photo but some decision no matter how self conscious probably made you take it in a certain way.
I totally agree with you. Photography should be all about having fun and getting out there and enjoying it. We all see and are inspired by different things. A friend that i go out with sees compositions wereever he goes whereas I tend to see things more in the nature of colours and then compositions. I have been an artist all my life so looking for a composition is something that i just cannot turn off but we all learn it in our own time. By taking lots of photos we learn (even if we dont realise it) what works and what doesnt. Try lots of different things. It is lifes best teacher
Old 13-01-06, 23:35

Much is being said re composition and rule of 2thirds etc,but that cannot always apply to bird shots.Until now all my bird shots have been dead centre,as I always use one red focal point as I only want the bird and not the surroundings.The exception being groups of birds,or a shore bird on a rock or amongs't the seaweed etc.But having studied the comments made on various posts I do now try to position my subject to one side.But all in all,I like to take a good bird portrait which shows the plumage details etc,and invariably it is in the centre.But I did learn something from this months Birdwatching mag.The comp results were published,for the Bird Photographers of the year etc,and it was mentioned that the judges were looking for someting other than just plain bird portraits,ie action type shots.This has made me think re my photography,but sometimes one is restricted to ones own limitations.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356