WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

Fortnightly Challenge Jan27th - Feb10th ...Proverbs

Register to see Poll

There is a poll attached to this thread. You must be a fully registered member to be able to view or vote in this poll.

Old 14-02-14, 19:09

congratulations D/D a Excellent photograph
Old 15-02-14, 11:43

Default Ups and Downs.

OK so the opinion of the guy who got zero votes. My up was Graham's pleasing depiction of a broken chain on a simple fabric background. Elegant and harder to get just right than it looks. Good one! My down was Chris's winner, inventive, also elegant and she'd gone to some trouble to put it together, just pipped Clive's excellent effort for me on the day that I looked.
Old 15-02-14, 15:32

Thanks Peter. My ups/downs as follows:

Up - Clive's Many a Slip Twixt Cup & Lip - Got my vote. A lovely image and well captured. I hope you protected the carpet/flooring. Did you need many takes before you achieved the image you were happy with? I would have used a different coloured cup/saucer to make it pop out of the picture more. Only my comment though so take it with a pinch of salt.

Down - Peters A Poor Workman - Surprised it didn't pull any votes as it portrayed the proverb well. I did feel it was a little busy however, but was well thought out.
Old 15-02-14, 22:29

my up was Grassface...roses, I don't know that saying... nothing wrong with the image.

my down was John&me...I do know that saying, well thought up, not as strong as the winner and 2nd place.

my vote went to Clive,I was tossing up between that and DigiDiva's apples, I think the 2 best images got the most votes...well done.

funny how we all see something different in the images when we vote, the votes are so spread out.

look forward to the next challenge of colour pop

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 16-02-14, 14:46

My 'up' is Peter with 'A poor workman...' etc. As always a nicely balanced and clear photo from Peter and it certainly 'hit the spot' as a depicted proverb. My only reservation lay in the structure of the display and its composition.

'Down' takes me to the top of the list (if that makes sense) and Grassface's roses. They are lovely and the quality of the shot is superb. I had never heard of the phrase as either a proverb or a well known expression so for this reason I didn't vote for the shot.

Graham
Old 16-02-14, 15:34
Super Moderator

Up - The Real McCoy - The exposure has been well enough handled, but for me the picture is lacking any drama or interest. I think I'd have tried a lower angle both for the shot & the lighting and a more diagonal composition.

Down - An Apple a Day - Great use of DoF & nice diagonal composition. I'm just not sure the image needed the text - I think it was self explanatory with out it.

I'm just surprised Trena's shot didn’t get more votes
Old 16-02-14, 15:44
Super Moderator

Behind the Scenes

It took quite a few spilled cups of tea & a composite of four shots in the end to create the image.

We started with holding the cup & saucer & captured the startled expression, then superimposed the Sarah's hand not holding the cup & finally added the cup with the tea spilling out which needed the top edge of the cup replacing with the handle not being held.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proverbs_0010.jpg (260.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Proverbs_0013.jpg (166.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Proverbs_0021.jpg (87.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Proverbs_0026.jpg (84.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 16-02-14, 21:33

thanks for the explanation Clive...a great shot and so well put together.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 17-02-14, 10:10

thought it was just one shot so well done for putting it together as you did. It this kind of photoshop work where I lack skill and knowledge. I might do a college course.