WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

JPG or JPEG?

Old 29-06-15, 14:49
Super Moderator

Default JPG or JPEG?

I've noticed recently when someone posted some images and when people commented on them, thumbnails don't show up in the New Photos and New Comment galleries - see screenshot

Investigating this issue it seems that if anyone uploads an image with the file extension jpg - ie filename.jpg - you get thumbnails but if you upload with the extension jpeg ie filename.jpeg you don't get thumbnails.

As far as I can determine the file formats are the same - it just means that anyone uploading jpegs are likely to get less views as there are no thumbnails
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpeg or jpg.jpg (263.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 29-06-15, 18:39

Default Jpg

Thanks for this information, it is certainly something that I was not aware of. However now that you have brought it to my attention I will make sure that any future images I post are in the correct format.
I mostly use an iMac and Photoshop or Intensify software to enhance photos. It can only be that the way that one of these is saveing images that is causing the problem. So once again, many thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Old 30-06-15, 21:17

Thanks for the info Clive. I noticed the other day an image of mine was surrounded a lack of thumbnails, was rather puzzled at the time.

Harry
Old 16-10-15, 10:29

ah this clears it up.. thanks a lot clive.
Old 01-01-17, 15:33

thanks Clive I will have to keep an eye on my extensions when I post in the future. And your right as far as I know they are the same file information.

Dave

ON SMUGMUG

https://dwb-photography.smugmug.com/
Old 01-01-17, 21:16

It seems odd any modern software would be exporting with a 4-character extension, though I see it now and then and always manually change it to "jpg" for sake of consistency.
Old 02-01-17, 02:31

The concept of file extensions date back to the 8 dot 3 file name format used on DOS operating systems for PC. With the introduction of MS Windows 3 or (4 mainly for CAD programs) character extensions can be used. Which by default are hidden unless you override the setting. Information about the extension is held in the registry.

Although a MAC allows you to put dots in the file name for your own convenience it does not need them to know about the file. Information for a Mac file is held in 3 places. A Data fork ( the file you see on a PC ), a resource folk which contains info about the file and the thumb nail image. The file Signature which is the file type and creator is stored in the catalogue tree on the disk.

From my distant memory of when I last used Photoshop on a Mac some 15 years ago you could set what the extension was in Photoshop settings.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 02-01-17, 02:49

Thanks Rob! Here's some further info from Wikipedia, as if we really have to stress about this stuff in daily use ;-).

Oh, and in a slightly related matter, Apple is about to change their file system format.
Old 04-02-18, 14:09
Super Moderator

Just a reminder for newer forum members - for some reason the forum software doesn't support the *.jpeg file extension. By using the more usual *.jpg extension, thumbnails of your images will appear in the new photos & new comments galleries
Old 04-02-18, 18:16

Clive I mentioned this to Stan When he first started posting images, but he did not alter the extension which is rather silly as it makes a total mess of the 'New Comments' page. I don't contribute much these days, but if I do not see the thumbnails I just ignore the ulpoads.

Harry