WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

More trials with Stacked Converters

Old 04-05-07, 21:04

Default More trials with Stacked Converters

Following my trials with the 1.4 and then 2x converter I decided to have a bit of fun by stacking the two to give a focal length of 1120mm (1792 if you inc the crop factor) with my 400mm f5.6 lens. Think results may have been a bit better if I had a remote release but I was still suprised at the IQ. Think what this shows is the quality of the Canon 'L' glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green2stacked.jpg (113.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg robin1stacked.jpg (85.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg sparrow1stacked.jpg (93.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg green1stacked.jpg (100.8 KB, 23 views)

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 04-05-07 at 21:45.
Old 04-05-07, 21:33

Psst: What lens were you using?
Old 04-05-07, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Psst: What lens were you using?
Opps - Canon 400mm f5.6 prime (have now added to original post)

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 04-05-07, 21:53

I'm surprised at the IQ too. I have Arthur Morris's bird book, and he has some example of pictures with stacked converters on a 600mm lens. They are remarkable. Canon's longs seem to take converters well.
Old 05-05-07, 12:34

Hi Roy, surprised, I am amazed! I've just got my self a Canon 300mm f/2.8IS with a 2x wide open I cannot see any quality degradation at all, my next task is to stack the 1.4x and 2.0x, its dull as dishwater out there today so I will have a go when it brightens up.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p322176859-4.jpg (114.9 KB, 23 views)
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).

Last edited by NickR; 05-05-07 at 12:40.
Old 05-05-07, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
Hi Roy, surprised, I am amazed! I've just got my self a Canon 300mm f/2.8IS with a 2x wide open I cannot see any quality degradation at all, my next task is to stack the 1.4x and 2.0x, its dull as dishwater out there today so I will have a go when it brightens up.

Cheers
Hi Nick - IMO the lens that you have is one of the very best and if I were to upgrade the 300mm f2.8 IS is the one I would go for. I am sure you will have stunning results with stacked tc's. By my reckoning you should be able to retain AF with the mkIII even with the two converters (f8). How do you get on hand holding this lens from the weight point of view?
Cheers
Roy C
p.s The 'Goldie' shot is a cracker

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 05-05-07, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Hi Nick - IMO the lens that you have is one of the very best and if I were to upgrade the 300mm f2.8 IS is the one I would go for. I am sure you will have stunning results with stacked tc's. By my reckoning you should be able to retain AF with the mkIII even with the two converters (f8). How do you get on hand holding this lens from the weight point of view?
Cheers
Roy C
p.s The 'Goldie' shot is a cracker
Hi Roy, Will I loose all af on the 30D when I stack the tc's? I suppose it doesn't really matter as I should have the MKIII soon. Hand holding is not to bad but I don't think I could hand hold all day, It would be mounted on the monopod most of the time.

Cheers
Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM | Canon 1.4x II and 2.0x II Extenders (TC's).
Old 05-05-07, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
Hi Roy, Will I loose all af on the 30D when I stack the tc's? I suppose it doesn't really matter as I should have the MKIII soon. Hand holding is not to bad but I don't think I could hand hold all day, It would be mounted on the monopod most of the time.

Cheers
Not sure how stacked converter actually report back to the camera Nick - I guess it is just the one attached to the camera that counts. If this is the case then you should get AF on the 30D without even taping the pins. Remember that you will need a non Canon tc to attach to the Camera to enable stacking.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 05-05-07, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Not sure how stacked converter actually report back to the camera Nick - I guess it is just the one attached to the camera that counts. If this is the case then you should get AF on the 30D without even taping the pins. Remember that you will need a non Canon tc to attach to the Camera to enable stacking.
Hi Roy, As far as I can make out the MKII extenders which I have are ok stacked, looks like Canon have done a mod of some kind.

Cheers
Old 06-05-07, 10:17

Hi Roy, I had a quick go this morning with the 300mm + 2.0x and 1.4x, AF was not that good, a lot of hunting. I can't get my head round what the aperture/exposure is doing, I know the camera says f/5.6 but is this true or should this really be f/8 or are all the auto exposure settings wrong when stacking tc's?

Cheers