WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Vivatar flash guns

Old 06-12-06, 19:57

Ollie If you get you're self a sensor, see link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flash...QQcmdZViewItem you can use the Vivatar as a slave unit!

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 06-12-06, 20:20

Default Slightly off topic

I recently bought an optical remote flash trigger. Much cheaper than wireless. Works with most flashes. It won't work with my Olympus FL-36 but I think this is a very low voltage unit. Only takes 2 AA batteries so must be about 3 volts. Most other flashes use 4 AA so will be about 6 volts. The optical takes its power from the flashgun. The one one the ebay link is the one I bought.

Last edited by carman; 06-12-06 at 20:25.
Old 06-12-06, 20:29

Am i right in thinking that i will still need a flash gun that will work for my D50 to work with a slave unit trigger? Or is it posssible to get a device that will sit on my hot shoe and remotly fire the flash gun?

Last edited by ollieholmes; 06-12-06 at 20:33.
Old 06-12-06, 20:43

One of these will do it. The optical one relies on the pop up flash on the camera or a small trigger flash.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/For-Nikon-Wire...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-12-06, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes View Post
Am i right in thinking that i will still need a flash gun that will work for my D50 to work with a slave unit trigger? Or is it posssible to get a device that will sit on my hot shoe and remotly fire the flash gun?
No, If you can turn off the pre flash on the D50 ( the D50 may have a setting to turn off the pre flash) then you can use the on board flash to trigger the Vivatar.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 07-12-06, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
No, If you can turn off the pre flash on the D50 ( the D50 may have a setting to turn off the pre flash) then you can use the on board flash to trigger the Vivatar.
I will go and find my D50 manual and see if i can.
Old 14-06-07, 14:54

I was directed to this thread by Yelvertoft when I mentioned using my 46 year old flash gun (Nissin 400HA) with my Canon 20Da. I have since measured the voltage across the flash output when charged up and found it to be 196 volts!!

Fortunately my camera seems to have survived but I feel extremely lucky as it is effectively irreplaceable. (the a version is no longer made and is impossible to get second hand)

Anyone tempted to try out an old flash unit MUST check out the reference given by Christine in the second post of this thread and if the model is not listed then measure the output yourself.

As Yelvertoft has advised me you can get a wireless remote trigger that can safely work the flash.

Dave
Old 14-06-07, 19:55

It's quite easy for someone with a rudimentary knowledge of electronics and a deft hand with a soldering iron, to make a low voltage flash trigger capable of firing these old flashguns. I have made several of these over the years, many of which were incorporated into high powered portable flash units I built specially for bird photography.

Anyone requiring a copy of the circuit diagram is welcome.

nirofo.
Old 18-07-07, 19:57

You can use your high-voltage flash on your camera as long as you add a voltage filter. Options include:
Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe High Voltage Sync Regulator
Speedotron Safe Sync Hot Shoe Adapter

It's also worth knowing that Paramount makes voltage-protected sync cords.

Last edited by henryp; 18-07-07 at 19:59.