WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Flash Umbrellas

Old 24-12-07, 19:02

Duncan

A sketch to give a rough idea of using straight bounce from a brollie and shoot through.
It has to be remembered that a camera flash has a horizontal tube so coverage is greater on the horizontal side than in the vertical side. Also without fitting a stofen diffuser the widest angle is less than that from a studio unit so at a distance will give light fall off which I have called Spill Light here. This spill is fine on portraits but a pain in tabletop as more black flagging is required.

I hope this makes sense.

Don

PS : Sorry I took so long but Stevie had Flash Gordon on the DVD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brollies.jpg (69.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Don Hoey; 24-12-07 at 19:06.
Old 03-01-08, 12:18

Just an update for those that may be interested. I bought a white/silver brolly with removable backing from Calumet. As the 46" version was only 50p more than the 36" version I thought I'd get that one. I was intending to use it with my Metz 58AF-1 which has plenty of power so figured it would be able to cope. What I hadn't factored in was the sheer volume a 46" umbrella takes up. If you want big and have a light source that can power it, then fair enough, but you'd better have a big room to house your setup. Try borrowing someone's golf umbrella and get your significant other to stand in the room with the brolly open, held at an angle. See how difficult it is to walk around the room without bashing into it.

I've had to pay 2 lots of postage to get it changed, but there's no way I was going to be able to use the bigger item. Incedentally, I tried buying from a local shop where I could see the item before buying, I tried a range of shops within 50 miles but no-one had anything in stock or could even get one in for me. Bowens are only up the road in Clacton but couldn't supply direct and my local shop didn't want to order from them because I'd be waiting months apparently. I was told I'd be better off buying this sort of stuff online and now I've had to send it back. Seems sometimes you just can't win.
Old 03-01-08, 13:01

Agreed, its sometimes difficult to get around my dining room with a 36" brolley. A smaller brolley may allow to to get the light closer for macro shots that may require lots of light.

I was in the same quantry as you over the two sizes as the cost for 46" was minor over 36". The assistant in the Calumnet shop advised me to go with 36" and I was still in doubt until I realised Don uses a 36" (or thereabouts)brolley.
Old 03-01-08, 15:07

Mine are from the early ninties so an oddball dimension by todays standards 32". Also not nearly as fancy as Foxy's or what you are getting.

Don
Old 03-01-08, 15:38

Duncan, for your tabletop shots, a soft box would be just right. A soft box has a much better concentration of diffuse light. It’s ideal for your tabletops and very often, for portraits.

However, this is my personal view only.

My sincere request to you is this: Go for a 500joules mono-block with preferably a warm tone flash tube. Get a 100X100cm box at least.

Since you’ve already invested, keep it as your future plan.