WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photography Books & Magazines

Photography Books & Magazines Read any? Can you recommend any? Dislike any? This is the place to let us know!

Bird Photography Book

Old 11-03-07, 18:09

Default Bird Photography Book

I've just bought myself a 400mm lens on FleaBay, and fancy having a go at some bird photography. Well, why not. Can anyone recommend any good books on bird photography in the UK? I already understand the basics of photography, such as exposure, and I have a decent tripod and head. But it's the where to go, and when, that interest me, in other words, the field craft rather than the "which gear to buy".

Incidentally many years ago I bought Arthur Morris's book, and whilst it is a wonderful book, I don't think it is relevant to the UK experience, as our light levels are much lower, and our birds are nothing like so tame as those in Florida and other such places.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-07, 18:48

First of all try your local ornithology clubs web site.

Alan
Old 12-03-07, 11:32
Admin

I know where you're coming from, Leif.

A non Canon owning Brit may relate better to Chris Gomersall's 'Photographing WIld Birds' book... but again, like so many, its emphasis is on the basics and technique but it does go a bit deeper.

I'm a bit out of touch on the latest bird photography books, but there seems to be a need for a publication that goes in to depth about specific U.K/Euro species photgraphy and approach from a U.K. stance.

cheers
Andy
Old 12-03-07, 14:19

There are a series of books, published by Helm entitled "Where to Watch birds", that details good birding sites in various regions. You may also be able to get additional advice from Bird Forum.
Old 12-03-07, 16:15

Thanks for the replies. I should perhaps make it clear that I am more interested in fieldcraft, and general technique, rather than a list of specific places to go, since as several of you say, there are books on good spots. and I know many of them anyway. The problem is, once I have reached a good spot, what do I do! Clearly in a public hide, I can set up a camera and wait. And I see people doing just that. (Clacketty clack being the typical noise in a hide.) But in general do people wander around until they see a bird, or set up a hide at a good spot, on a river bank say, or carry out long term baiting to habituate a bird to an area. Is a hide essential? Is it worth spreading bird seed in a field and waiting? Is it okay to wear normal clothes, or to you have to dress like a soldier. These are all basic questions which a good book should answer.

Or maybe not. I notice that many books are focussed on equipment apart from some lovely pictures.

Thanks Andy, I will check out the book you mention.
Old 12-03-07, 18:07

When i was in a local libairy i found several good books on the subject. I will go back there tomorrow and write the details down for you.
Old 12-03-07, 20:35

Thanks Ollie, but please don't go out of your way on my account. Leif
Old 12-03-07, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Thanks Ollie, but please don't go out of your way on my account. Leif
Its no problem. I often go in there so its no problem for me to.
Old 13-03-07, 17:16

You may also want to check out Arthur Morris' "The Art of Bird Photography; The Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques." His latest edition is available on CD. http://www.birdsasart.com/

cheers,
jim
Old 19-03-07, 14:16

Leif,

You should take a look at Photograpinh Wild Birds by Chris Gomersall. It has some information of Field Craft. This book should be available at your Library.

Good Luck.