WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

1D or not to 1D

Old 19-10-09, 12:32

Default 1D or not to 1D

Hi guys i hope ive got this in the right section? but i need some advice from your good selves

I am a semi-professional motorsports photographer using a Canon 30D.
For years i have been told to get a 1D, but i have resisted the urge to spend a lot of money on one! (not a tough decision in todays climate) but.......
what is the big difference? is it really in my best interests to get one?
I feel like my images with my 30D are pin sharp enough so whats the difference with a 1D?
I dont need the 8.5fps as i only take one shot unless its a crash sequence (which im usually looking the wrong way for!)
Help!!!
Do i get a 1D? get my trusty 30D serviced? or flog the lot and get a Nikon D300?? aarrggghhh decisions!
I thank you for listening to me rant
Old 19-10-09, 13:22
Super Moderator

Not an easy choice... the 1D series cameras have a much better AF system than the xxD ones (45 point vs 9 point), the AF is faster and more reliable. Other than that you probably wouldn't see a huge improvement, though I imagine that for motorsport faster AF would be a bonus. Other good features are weather sealing, centre point AF at f8, amazing build quality, dual card slots (CF and SD).

The original 1D was only 4mp and often gets bad reviews, however the mkII was 8.2mp and a real step up. In terms of image quality I don't think you'd see any real difference between a mkII and a 30D. The mkIII is 10mp and have the new 14bit processing system which does give even better images, but secondhand they're ~£700 more than a mkII!

As for the D300... from reading reviews it does seem that Nikon are currently leading the way and that there AF system is better than Canon's. Apparently lots of pros have made the change to the dark side, but that comparing the 1D to Nikon's D3 (not the D300). But changing system won't be cheap, and who knows what the new 1D mkIV will be like (rumour has it it will be announced this week).
Old 19-10-09, 13:27

thank you for your reply.
So basically it will focus faster, hmmm thats what i thought. So basically my keeper rate will improve because the auto focus wont keep jumping off the subject! Thats interesting!
Yeah its a dilemma, the 1D mk 2 is around £1000 second hand where the Mk 2 N is £1200 secondhand. The D300 is £1200 brand new!
Old 19-10-09, 13:47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing-eye View Post
Yeah its a dilemma, the 1D mk 2 is around £1000 second hand where the Mk 2 N is £1200 secondhand. The D300 is £1200 brand new!
The body is the easy bit, it's when you add in the cost of changing lenses that changing system get's expensive.

If you shop about a bit you should be able to pick up a mkII for ~£800-850 and a mkIIN for ~£1000-1100, whether then N is worth the extra is the big question.
Old 19-10-09, 13:56

If i could find one at that price i would be happier but everywhere i look its the top end of the price scale i mentioned.
Decisions decisions lol
thanks again for your replies
Old 19-10-09, 14:36
Super Moderator

I would suggest you look at the new 7D, it has a very much improved 19 point focusing system and its fast. I have one but still in the testing mode with birds in flight and Wow! what a difference from earlier models.
The expanded spot focusing with A1-servo for keeping fast moving birds in focus works like a dream but like I said I still have a lot more testing to do.

Check out what other people are saying about this Camera before making a final decision on switching. Eventually I will put review on what I really think about it at the moment I am still in the Wow! I didn't know it did that stage.LOL!
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 19-10-09, 14:43

dont throw any more cameras at my poor confused brain :-)
Old 19-10-09, 15:52

surely the main difference I would have thought is that this is a full frame camera, go for one I reckon
Old 19-10-09, 16:02
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j8kkb View Post
surely the main difference I would have thought is that this is a full frame camera, go for one I reckon
the 1D series are APS-H cameras (1.3x crop), it's the 1Ds series that are full frame. Personally I prefer the 1Ds' but they tend to cost a good chunk more and have a much slower frame rate which could be an issue for a sport shooter.
Old 19-10-09, 17:25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
the 1D series are APS-H cameras (1.3x crop), it's the 1Ds series that are full frame. Personally I prefer the 1Ds' but they tend to cost a good chunk more and have a much slower frame rate which could be an issue for a sport shooter.
I stand corrected