WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

DIY Ringflash

Old 03-01-07, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Don, how about something like this to attach an external flash, I can't try it as I don't have a sync lead (Something else I need to buy) but with the lead it would make the flash sit slightly higher on the bracket and make it point forwards instead of up at an angle. I would think the d70 and d100 is flat on the top, not like mine with the pop up flash. Just a thought.
Very good Christine, You might have beaten don to the problem

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-01-07, 21:12
Super Moderator

Lello that looks brilliant, your flash looks slightly more even than mine and more central. I think with mine it is down to the front filter, I need to find some better opaque plastic. Until then I am happy with the result, its been great fun and I looking forward to Dons next project I can get my teeth into.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-01-07, 21:38

I'll just post this then catch up with you guys.

Before cutting into my 2 bowls I am experimenting with my origional ring with flashgun directly mounted to it as shown in post #239.

I have now added a mod to spread the light round the bowl a bit. A circular bit of card covered with foil on the inside ( outlined in red in the attached pic ). So much foil its getting hard to photograph with flash.

Got bored with taking pics of reflection in the workshop glass door to show light spread, so did one in a camera lens instead.

The pic of the flower is the closest I got. 55mm lens, 12mm ext tube and 2x converter. The image is full frame and covers an area just less than a postage stamp. End of bowl to subject distance about 20mm.

More play tomorrow.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mod to ring.jpg (99.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Light-ring.jpg (104.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Flower.jpg (121.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-01-07, 21:49

Thumbs up

Quote:
Don, how about something like this to attach an external flash, I can't try it as I don't have a sync lead (Something else I need to buy) but with the lead it would make the flash sit slightly higher on the bracket and make it point forwards instead of up at an angle. I would think the d70 and d100 is flat on the top, not like mine with the pop up flash. Just a thought.
Good thought Christine,

My X is a lot taller than the D100 see pic in post #277. I will leave making a bracket till last as I can temporarily just stick the flash into the stofen. Its more about getting the bowl right first. Everytime I look at it I have another idea.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 22:00

Christine, I've just had an idea about your front diffuser, What about those paper decorating overhauls you find at Homebase and such places. They are cheap and have elasticated arms/legs maybe if you cut off an arm or leg the elasticated part will stretch over over the centre tube and rest of the sleeve should fit over the bowl, If you know what I mean?

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-01-07, 22:05

Thumbs up

Lello,

Well you have also cracked the light flow round the bowl. Nice touch using the bauble to show it.

It may be worth making a bit of a hood over the bowl window to gain extra power from the flash. A lot of the light will bounce off. Christine discovered the benefit of a bit of a cowl. I reckon you will gain 1 stop minimum.

Tomato tin !! There's lateral thinking.

As for enthusiasm, its down to you guys joining in, and as you say between us we have developed something really useful and DIRT CHEAP.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 22:10

It may be worth making a bit of a hood over the bowl window to gain extra power from the flash. A lot of the light will bounce off. Christine discovered the benefit of a bit of a cowl. I reckon you will gain 1 stop minimum.
I am looking into fixing some sort of hood, I need to wait for the weekend to go out and see what I can find, I looked everywhere in the house and there's nothing that fits the bill

Lelsphotos
Old 03-01-07, 22:10

Quote:
Until then I am happy with the result, its been great fun and I looking forward to Dons next project I can get my teeth into.
Well I'm glad you have had some fun Christine.

Next project !!!!! .............. I still have not finished this one for those without pop-ups, just got pleasantly diverted by Lello again.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 22:14
Super Moderator

Lello I made the cowl out of a plastic milk bottle the large 2lt size and then cut it to shape.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-01-07, 22:14

Why do I always get the blame

Lelsphotos