WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Printing Help!! :eek:

Old 29-01-10, 21:47

Oh, forgot to mention about how to go about proofing the image.
Duplicate the layer.
goto view.
proof set up.
select custom
Device to simulate and choose say (for the epson) SPR1800PGPP (PGPP Premium Gloss Photo Paper)
Check simulate paper colour.
hit OK.
Now adjust the duplicated image to the same as the original.
Old 30-01-10, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
I use a printer profile that was created by my Spyder Pro.
Andy as you have tweaked the printer profile it maybe worth backing up the new one and re-installing the original profile as a test. For grey scale work it will use black ink only, but for colour work the shades of grey are a mix of all colours (Although some print setup will allow you to specify that black in used instead, sometimes know as GCR (Grey Component removal)). I know from experience getting the mix right without a cast is a problem especially when viewed under different lighting conditions.

For those who are interested, an insight into what is in a printer profile. Colour is a 3 dimensional object and the colour mapping is done through a 3 dimension array (tables of numbers). This array is often referred to as a colour cube. Each corner of the cube represents white, black, yellow, cyan, magenta, red, green, blue. The first attachment is a simple illustration of a colour cube. The cube has 3 co-ordinates (x,y and z) to represent a colour position within the cube. Think of each box holding a number to represent a colour. The number of positions in the cube depends on the size the array. Low end desktop printers are typically 7x7x7, 9x9x9 and high end commercial work 11x11x11 or 17x17x17. The size of the profile file is a good indicator of the size of the colour cube. 50Kb low end and up to 2Mb high end. The act of profiling is to modify the table values to the corrected colour for each position within the cube.

In the second attachment the green line passes through all the grey shade positions within the cube from black to white. The act of profiling may have changed some these grey position values to introduce the cast in question.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:34.
Old 30-01-10, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Andy as you have tweaked the printer profile it maybe worth backing up the new one and re-installing the original profile as a test. For grey scale work it will use black ink only, but for colour work the shades of grey are a mix of all colours (Although some print setup will allow you to specify that black in used instead, sometimes know as GCR (Grey Component removal)). I know from experience getting the mix right without a cast is a problem especially when viewed under different lighting conditions.

For those who are interested, an insight into what is in a printer profile. Colour is a 3 dimensional object and the colour mapping is done through a 3 dimension array (tables of numbers). This array is often referred to as a colour cube. Each corner of the cube represents white, black, yellow, cyan, magenta, red, green, blue. The first attachment is a simple illustration of a colour cube. The cube has 3 co-ordinates (x,y and z) to represent a colour position within the cube. Think of each box holding a number to represent a colour. The number of positions in the cube depends on the size the array. Low end desktop printers are typically 7x7x7, 9x9x9 and high end commercial work 11x11x11 or 17x17x17. The size of the profile file is a good indicator of the size of the colour cube. 50Kb low end and up to 2Mb high end. The act of profiling is to modify the table values to the corrected colour for each position within the cube.

In the second attachment the green line passes through all the grey shade positions within the cube from black to white. The act of profiling may have changed some these grey position values to introduce the cast in question.
Well researched and good info you have found.

This Is all good when setting up you office and having everything bang on. It wont' solve the problem as from experience its the printer or inks. In the past I have had the green cast using an epson then swapped to my canon printer (great bit of kit and only used for the payed work) and the image was fine i then swapped printers again did what i have already mentioned and jobs a gooden.

I am off on holiday after today so good luck with it hope you get there in the end.
If all else fails buy a canon although prints do tend to fade quicker.

Just realized Rob, You took your time replying to this thread, It was posted on 22.1.10? Hmmm odd.

Last edited by Inyourface; 30-01-10 at 11:20.
Old 30-01-10, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyourface View Post

Just realized Rob, You took your time replying to this thread, It was posted on 22.1.10? Hmmm odd.
LOL - I am not a desktop printer expert, because I print so few they are more trouble than they are worth. I had to do the research in ICC profiles for my line of work in the newsprint industry.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 30-01-10, 12:23

Thanks, that is one thing I haven't tried, switching the colour management off - I'll see what happens and report back. Thanks to all for their help and suggestions.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 30-01-10, 17:14

Hope it works for you Andy.
I may still be able to reply now anyway as my little one has come down with viral infection and is not feeling well at all. e got a worse today. So there goes the holiday, sods law, but they come first.