WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Panasonic Z50 for birding?

Old 22-05-07, 12:06

I have FZ-30 and D-70, Recently I started to take picture of fly pigeon ( just to try my hand in something diffrent).Well what I experienced is this:-
1) Both the cams need to be set in manual mode , even focusing( I set it to predetermined point where I feel the pegions are more likely to come.) Now difficult part.Manual focusing ,at least for me, in FZ-30 is irritating ( may be not used to that kind of setting ,like using a small botton for foussing >most of the time focusing ring come to hand then you had it,one lage thing image comes in EVF which does not go immediately.& I just watch my best shot being flying away, for which I have waited for hours, GOD ,sometime is not fair with me).Whereas D-70 focusing is just like breathing to me ,Effortless & smooth.
2) now the Time to press the Shutter,This is the most interesting part,Keep it half pressed ,Let say the bird has come to frame- fully press the button immediately,You will see some fluttering image on EVF ( all confusion),Press immediately for 2 nd time just to ensure some good shot,FZ-30 wont respond.
But in D-70 is just at the point where I wanted >Click done...Next click done at least I get 2 frames one after another.
3)FZ-30 shut down after 1 min, even if you keep the shutter half pressed after one min.( OK.Ok I know there is setting to increase the time, but you lose the bettery power more faster, good feature but does not work in given situation),Release again re-press,by the time, you will lose few more shots,
4) But one thing I do admit if by lucK (PLZ note I said by LUCK) a good shot has caputered by FZ-30 then it is razor sharp,,D-70 is not lagging behind
Conculsion of mine:- FZ-30 best to use in sitting bird <You get lots of time to compose and get a very beautiful image, if it is an action I think nothing beats DLSR
Old 22-05-07, 20:49

"FZ-30 best to use in sitting bird": are you sure ?

Look at this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/221/5...ef0e6b1f88.jpg

OK, it's an FZ50
Old 23-05-07, 14:49

Warnerasutter, What I said ,is- Images are sharp in FZ-30 ( I am not disputing that fact).What I wish to say (infact observe that the resposive time of the cam.) the chances of success in "dslr" is more than FZ-30.Let me put it this way ,If I have taken one image on FZ-30 the bird is either flowen away or at some other point.Infact I have few success in FZ-30 as you have shown to me, but they are few.But the rate of success is more on "dslr".Well this is my personal thinking ,You may disagree with me that is an another matter. May I suggest, Take any "dslr"(Nikon or Canon) and FZ-30 or 50 with you .and try to take the flying bird with both the cams."Experiance the differance"
Old 28-05-07, 18:20

well whilst not a FZ50, i do have a FZ8, which never ceases to amaze me with its pitures. the zoom is great to,12x optical, and with the 4x digital you get the 48x! sounds like it should look rough but with a tripod or steady hand you"ll be more than impressed with the results.
Serious? Me? Not in this lifetime.......