WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Which Macro Lens?

Old 28-02-09, 12:00

I am using Raynox DCR -250 with my Nikon 70-210 mm Lens for macro work.. It is good and cheaper alternative..
But dadicated Macro lens is far ahead... In fact on my next shooting session, I am going to try my Macro lens with Raynox DCR -250 let see what happens

Liu
Old 28-02-09, 14:17

Seems like the best way to go is a dedicated macro lens. Thanks for everyone's input. I'm also thinking of investing in a light cube/tent for any indoor work for everyday items.

Is it worth the trouble to get one? If so any recommendations on brand?
Old 28-02-09, 15:42

All of the lenses referred to here, and several other good ones not mentioned, will perform very well over the 'normal' focus distances, so you can use them for other purposes as well. I've used a 50mm macro as an all-round standard lens for many years (though it's effectively an 80mm portrait/short telephoto lens on my 1.6x crop-factor Canon digital bodies).

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 28-02-09, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds View Post
I'm also thinking of investing in a light cube/tent for any indoor work for everyday items.

Is it worth the trouble to get one? If so any recommendations on brand?
If you're a bit of a handyman, you could make one from some net curtain material and bits of wire for next to nothing. That's pretty much all they are.
Old 08-03-09, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarlin View Post
Try the Sigma 105mm macro
I have looked round my local retailers and have found 2 good alternatives.

1. Sigma Lens 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Is this to Sigma lens to which you are referring?

2. Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens.

Both of these have good reviews.

If I a unable to get the Nikkor lens would it be better to go with a Tamron or SIgma Lens?

Cheers.
Old 08-03-09, 10:45

Quote:
I have looked round my local retailers and have found 2 good alternatives.

1. Sigma Lens 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Is this to Sigma lens to which you are referring?
Yes.

Quote:
2. Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Lens.

Both of these have good reviews.

If I a unable to get the Nikkor lens would it be better to go with a Tamron or Sigma Lens?
Even if you ARE able to get the Nikkor, either of the above Sigma/Tamron products will be worth considering.

Don't get hung up over the badge. Writing any particular text on the packaging does not confer magical properties on the contents. Which one is best is YOUR choice. You may like or dislike the handling/controls/balance of any one of the lenses under discussion. Others may like the one you don't get on with and vice versa.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the items you are considering, they are all very good. The final choice is down to YOU.

Duncan
Old 11-03-09, 11:58

Great news. My Nikkor 105mm Micro Lens has finally arrived and I pick it up tomorrow!!! Woo hoo!!

I'm off on the weekend to take heaps of snaps. Is there any subject that anyone would recommend to photograph to get to grip with the world of macro photography?? I haven't chosen subject matter to focus on only. I am after any advice on what would be a good starting point for a beginner.

I know this is a broad question but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-09, 12:13

Try decorative packages, indoor plants, something you can rely on not to move. Try spraying water onto leaves etc.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/s...7594101162264/
Old 12-03-09, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by walwyn View Post
Try decorative packages, indoor plants, something you can rely on not to move. Try spraying water onto leaves etc.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/s...7594101162264/
I've just taken a few shots of the items you suggested. Of course I have a few lighting problems but I will buy the necessary equipment.

I have just checked out your series of macro droplet shots on flickr and they are AMAZING!! How do you get the water droplets so perfectly round and to hang there? Do you use any special gear?
Old 12-03-09, 13:15

Reply sorry those aren't my photos. They are by Brian Valentine he discusses how to do it here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/macrovi...7594313729574/