WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Printing Help!! :eek:

Old 22-01-10, 17:00

Default Printing Help!! :eek:

Help Please. I am using an Epson R1800 and I have been trying to print these pictures from my gallery. When I print it - the B&W parts always have a slight pink cast, sepia cast or blue cast I cannot get it to print true B&W. The red/pink bits come out fine every time, but the B&W is a mess. I have Cleaned the print heads etc and if I put a straight B&W shot through it comes out fine. They have both been done using a duplicate of the background, converting that to B&W, merging the two and then using the eraser to reveal the underlying red. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridgred.jpg (380.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg redbw.jpg (314.4 KB, 12 views)

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 22-01-10 at 17:05.
Old 22-01-10, 19:30

I know it sounds daft with no logic but how about trying processing the other way round so the foreground is B&W with the background colour which is revealed with the eraser? Makes no sense but who knows?
Old 22-01-10, 20:58

I've had similar problems with the Epson RX560. Whatever I do, unless I converted it to B&W jpeg format, they come out with a cast usually either greenish or bluish. I can't recall whether I've tried printing them without using the Epson software or not.

Not in a very good mood with Epson at the moment either. My RX had an ink moment where it decided to dump a flood of black ink onto a page, which of course got into mechanism, and now one gets a black smudges and smears. Epson response

Quote:
No you can't clean it, but we are doing some great deals on new printers at the moment.
Hmmm. This one is only 2 years old they should last longer than that.

Quote:
They do, our printers last a long time.
The last Epson printer I bought back in 2001 only lasted 2 years. How do I know that in 2 years time a new one won't go titsup too?

Quote:
We are doing some great deals on new printers at the moment.

I've reconnected to old HP its doing fine. Occasional I put a page or two through the Epson and the smearing and smudging is getting fainter.
Old 22-01-10, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Help Please. I am using an Epson R1800 and I have been trying to print these pictures from my gallery. When I print it - the B&W parts always have a slight pink cast, sepia cast or blue cast I cannot get it to print true B&W. The red/pink bits come out fine every time, but the B&W is a mess. I have Cleaned the print heads etc and if I put a straight B&W shot through it comes out fine. They have both been done using a duplicate of the background, converting that to B&W, merging the two and then using the eraser to reveal the underlying red. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Maybe a silly question but, has your printer been calibrated to match your monitor.

Incidentally, I still use a calibrated Epson Stylus Photo EX from time to time with excellent results, this was bought in 1998.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 22-01-10 at 21:38.
Old 22-01-10, 21:59

Thanks folks, yes, my printer is calibrated to the monitor - I use the Spyder Pro which creates a printer profile to match the monitor after calibration. What I cannot get my head round is the fact that the colour part is fine, but the B&W can be different colours. First try was brown/sepia, second was pink and third was blue - the only difference in the three was that each test was run with a higher dpi output in order to improve the result.

Old 29-01-10, 16:02

Hi Andy,
Are you printing from photoshop. If so have you proofed them. Also are you using genuine inks. What paper are you using to print them and have you tried other types. Have you got both the printer and photoshop colour managements on (then select one or the other, do not have both on at the same time, you will have odd results like you have). Have you tried a custom curves adjustment as epson cartridges can spill out to much ink (especially black)and you may have to adjust for the cast.

Its nothing to do with your screen calibration as that's a viewing aid. its down to the printer or maybe the paper.

If you have done all of the above and have one of the colour managements (not both, preferably photoshops))turned on then do a test sheet ( make a load of small images to fit on A4) do a custom curves using each channel for each layer (check your RGB at first it to see if that could of been the problem in the first place) and then print and check the colour to see which one improved and if you find the one of the test samples has worked then save the adjustment for that layer for future prints. If you find the colour cast on one of the samples look better but not 100% then repeat the test sheet again with further adjustments.

Last edited by Inyourface; 29-01-10 at 17:40.
Old 29-01-10, 17:36

Hmmm. One would have thought that a blacks and grays would come out as black and gray not shades of green. After all when one is printing in colour the blacks don't come out green, they come out black. In my experience the Epson printer only goes wrong when it is printing something converted to a grayscale and saved as a colour jpeg.
Old 29-01-10, 17:51

They use all inks when printing B&W except the r2400 and on. Also they set down to much black.

Last edited by Inyourface; 29-01-10 at 17:55.
Old 29-01-10, 20:18

Hi there, thanks for the suggestions. My Epson R1800 has a Lyson continuous ink system attached. I use a printer profile that was created by my Spyder Pro. I use various papers and enter them under the printers own generic description ie; premium glossy or matt. Most of my prints are A3 and up until now I always had glorious B&W prints. and If I put a B&W shot through the printer it's as good as its ever been. It is this one series of B&W with a selective colour in that have gone haywire. Processing is through CS4 and I always flatten layers before I print. Today I put the print through my old Epson colour laser and it was perfect, put it back through the R1800 - same colour cast

Old 29-01-10, 20:40

Hello Andy,
As already said It tends to happen when you are mixing B&W and colour with the epson printers as they use (except the 2400) all the ink to print B&W and they don't set down that well when printing a mixture of colour and B&W. The only way to get round this is to do some test sheets and try to correct the colour cast in photoshop.
Before you do that, if you do a test sheet that is. Try to print it this way-
open in photoshop, file, print.
Then under the colour handling, select photoshop manages colours.
then select the paper you are using under the printer profile option. also make sure black point compensation is checked.
Press print and then you get more printing option.
Select colour management and check OFF, no colour management. This stops the printer managing the colour.
Then goto to print settings and select the type of paper and select colour.
Hit print and see what you have.