WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Cross Processing

Old 30-11-10, 23:12

Stretching my old grey cells I recall that Cross processing is the procedure of deliberately processing photographic film in a chemical solution intended for a different type of film. Cross processing usually involves one of the two following methods:
Processing positive color reversal (slide) film in C-41 chemicals, resulting in a negative image on a colorless base
Processing negative color print film in E-6 chemicals, resulting in a positive image but with the orange base of a normally processed color negative.
There are digital filters available to replicate this, but they do not have the unpredictability of the film process where time and chemical mix will vary the effect. I think I last tried this about 35 to 40 years ago..... Results are unpredictable as freshness of chemicals, temperature, time all have different effects especially when reacting with a film they are not intended for. Glennis, if I were you I try to do it myself, much more fun and satisfaction.....

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!

Last edited by andy153; 30-11-10 at 23:18.
Old 01-12-10, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenvic View Post
Thanks Duncan. I'll make some enquiries. Waiting for the films to arrive and then I'm going to do some test shots. But in the meantime I'll check out the site. Missed you last month in Danbury -we were looking forward to meeting Debs.
We should be around for the December meeting, but I can't say I've had too much inspiration with the theme. [insert head-scratching emoticon here]
Old 04-12-10, 22:32

The films arrived today - now I have to take the plunge! It's a bit cold though to go out to the garage to shoot the Harley! .... And I haven't yet spoken to the film lab..... Do you sometimes think that you have made a mistake?
Old 05-12-10, 22:23

Nothing for it now - go for it! Bet you enjoy it.
Old 06-12-10, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenvic View Post
The films arrived today - now I have to take the plunge! It's a bit cold though to go out to the garage to shoot the Harley! .... And I haven't yet spoken to the film lab..... Do you sometimes think that you have made a mistake?
Oh Glennis! No, you haven't made a mistake. What's the worse that can happen? You take some pictures, even if, for whatever reason they don't come out as you want them to, you will have learned from the experience. Isn't that the whole point of you doing the course and being told about cross processing?
Old 06-12-10, 14:52

Thanks for your support everyone. I've today managed to convince the local Saab dealer to let me use their showroom as a studio - I'll use the cars in the showroom for my test shots and when the weather improves (providing I get the results I want) will take the Harley there for my portfolio images.
Old 06-12-10, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
We should be around for the December meeting, but I can't say I've had too much inspiration with the theme. [insert head-scratching emoticon here]
I must admit that I haven't even taken one shot the for December meet. Got a couple of ideas but not yet got the inclination to go and take them further!