WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Are you a giver or taker....or both

Old 28-10-10, 12:43

Default Are you a giver or taker....or both

Was just wondering how you see yourself on the forum.

Do you give feedback to as many images as you post?

Do you post and run?

My biggest pet hate is those that post in the critique expecting feedback, then contribute nothing to the forum.
Old 28-10-10, 15:46

I think I give more. However there will be those who are new to both the forum and to photography who may feel they are unable to comment - lets give them time to learn and grow
Old 28-10-10, 16:20
Super Moderator

I probably comment more in threads & in tha gallery, than I post images
Old 28-10-10, 17:36

This thread set me pondering Lee. I don't really know the answer. I do comment on other members gallery pictures and various threads far more than I post pictures of my own, but I'm not sure what the right balance is.

I would be interested to know how many members we have 'on the books' then to know how many of those members continued to show any significant signs of activity on the forum (say at least one post per month) over the period since joining. I'm always amazed how few members take part in our competitions - submitting entries OR voting on them.

Pet hates? Well probably going to a Critique thread and finding that the poster has just sent 10 links to some other internet site instead of taking the trouble to attach the relevant shots.
Old 28-10-10, 18:53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham harcombe View Post
Pet hates? Well probably going to a Critique thread and finding that the poster has just sent 10 links to some other internet site instead of taking the trouble to attach the relevant shots.
Me too
Old 28-10-10, 19:48

I see my self as someone who visits this site for ideas. May on the odd occasion make a comment/suggestion but have not posted as yet.
Old 29-10-10, 07:54

Quote:
I would be interested to know how many members we have 'on the books' .
Currently 5,810

Quote:
Yup, which is why the critique posting guidelines specifically state that this is not advisable. I find the posters that do this also never actually say what they want, what they were trying to achieve, what they like and dislike. They often get the hump when there's either no response (despite not having followed the guidelines) or the response is less than glowing. This usually means the poster was tacitly saying "Tell me how brilliant my photos are" and wanted nothing more out of the posting than this.

It would be nice if those that do get feedback in the critique section then took the effort to give feedback to others who have posted there.
Old 29-10-10, 10:44

Well I must be a giver comment much more than post photos. Nothing to do with only having mobile internet, you understand. That is one reason why dont follow links.
Also dont know why more members dont enter competiton "As most will know I only enter for fun to encourage others, you understand." or vote.
No matter how new to photography people must know what photo thay like the most. If so vote for it, is not hard.
Old 29-10-10, 13:19

Hi - I am probably more of a taker than a giver (19 images to 25 comments so far) but only because I do see some images that I really do not like but would not want to post a negative comment. The images I really like have, in the majority of cases, already had excellent comments from other members and I do not feel that my comments could add anything further. Of course, there are some that I have commented on which have caught my eye. Hopefully, my "eye" for an image will be enhanced as I gain more experience.
Old 29-10-10, 14:24

I have recieved very good feedback and constructive criticism when ever i have used the critque thread, and really appriciate it.

I will however refuse to offer any critque to people that make absolutely no effort in other areas of the forum......

I can understand how some people new to photography feel ill equiped to comment on other peoples work, Im in this camp. when ever i stick my neck out to comment on someones work, i normally get shot down in flames for being wrong...lol..... so i try to leave the serious commenting to the people that know what they are talking about.

As far as the competition goes....having entered a few times, and not recieving any votes, tends to make you feel a little useless. so i tend to stay away. Maybe i should give it another bash.