WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Studio Lights and Baby photos

Old 13-01-11, 14:09

Default Studio Lights and Baby photos

Hi,

I have been asked if I can do some shots of a newborn baby in a few weeks time. It will be a free shoot, as it would be my first time, and someone has kindly agreed to let me experiment on their child (which is as yet, not born!).

So, I have scanned all the forums, looked in on people's baby shots, started getting some ideas of what I'd like to do. It is now a question of lights...

I have been loaned (long term) the following kit:

1 x Courtenay SolaFlash 150 (which has flash and modelling light, each with power slider 1/4 - 1/1 in 1/12 intervals).
1 x very small soft box (might just fit over the SolaFlash)
1 x 4 foot white shoot through brolly
1 x 3 foot silver inside brolly
1 x 4 foot silver/white pop up reflector.

I also have a few flash guns, one of which is quite powerful ( I could diffuse it, or something), but whether it would help with the SolaFlash or no, I don't know.

I have an assortment of white sheets and a few ways of mounting them. I also have a projector screen which also makes a good background which can be set up so it is a background which curved down onto a table, for example.

Any ideas for the set up, with this limited equipment? Natural daylight is probably not to be relied upon - it's cold and miserable, and the house where the shoot is to be does not have an expanse of glass or French windows onto the garden.

As the baby is so small,I would probably be considering a beanbag on table, or on the floor somewhere, covered with a sheet, with the baby on top of that, with whatever props I managed to sort.