WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

My 28-70L

Old 28-09-11, 11:12

Default My 28-70L

Hi folks,

I have just aquired my first L lens (a second hand 28-70) and would be grateful of some feedback on what people's thoughts are on the IQ. Is it similar to what I could expect from a good 24-70?

Viewing in PS @ 100% they look pretty good to me but I have no experience of L lenses.

I have attached three pics of some different subjects. One is my adorable 5 month old niece

Thanks all for taking the time to assist.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1186rawprocessed.jpg (232.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1183rawprocessed.jpg (242.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1167rawprocessed.jpg (263.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 28-09-11, 14:14
Super Moderator

I've got this lens and it is outstanding - pin sharp even at f2.8, fast acurate AF and real winner. I have compared it to the 24-70 f2.8 on a number of occassions and can see no advantage in changing to the newer lens (I don't feel the need for the extra 4mm at the wide end). I'm sure you'll have a lot of dun using this lens (but be warned L lensed can be addictive)!
Old 29-09-11, 01:09
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
...but be warned L lenses can be addictive!
And expensive. My first was the 24-105 f4 L which is a great walk about lens. A while ago I bought a sigma 120-300 f2.8 - great lens, super image quality & loved the f2.8 but sooo heavy that after 12 months I sold it and acquired a 70-200 f2.8 L IS... although not quite a long, 1/2 the weight, & IS. I love it - L series no 2. By now getting addicted to f2.8 lenses invested (?) in a 24-70 f2.8 L which is awesome, with the intention of selling the 24-105 ... but just not got round to it so that's L series no 3.

I think its the fast max aperture and the fact that they are sharp full open that does it for me
Old 29-09-11, 17:05

I only own the 24-105L, having resisted buying other L series lenses (so far), but having used various other L lenses, if it isnt sharp either you're doing it wrong or it is broken. Very well made, excellent optics. My only gripe with the 24-70 (which I nearly bought) was the lack of focus scales on the barrel - I use these so much in my landscape work that I replaced my broken sigma 28-70 with their 24-70 instead of going 'L'
Having said that, when my sigma 70-200 dies (no sign of that yet though, it is another excellent bit of kit), it'll be replaced in white...
Old 03-10-11, 20:27

Thanks Gordon, Clive and Peter for taking the time to help. Unfortunately the lens has gone back as it had a very small crack in the glass within the lens. I only found this when I really scrutinised the lens because of some weird flare I got when shooting a sunset last week. All my other test shots were fine and when zoomed in shooting towards the sun it was fine too. It took some finding but I knew there must be something wrong. The chap who sold it to me on ebay has been really good about it.

In order to avoid spiralling into a "lack of L lens" depression I have signed up to a 0% on new purchases credit card and shall be checking out new 24-105 and 24-70 L's.

Incidentally, are there any rumours about a replacement 27-70 anytime soon? If there is it may knock the price of the current one down a bit.

Thanks again
Paul

A link to my relatives web page. She is a freelance glamour model.

http://purestorm.com/profile.aspx?id=Bonno
Old 04-10-11, 09:04
Super Moderator

sorry to hear that your lens had a problem, but it's good that you found it quickly and could get it refunded... of the two you are looking at now I far prefer the 24-70, in my experience it gives better results (sharper, punchier images). There are rumours of a new version with IS but then there have been such rumour for years - personally I doubt it will happen anytime soon (if ever).