WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photography Books & Magazines

Photography Books & Magazines Read any? Can you recommend any? Dislike any? This is the place to let us know!

Repair Manual Yashica FX-D

Old 11-07-16, 14:37

Default Repair Manual Yashica FX-D

Dear,
I have a FX-D Yashica and she constantly has a problem where the mirror lock up and not can use it.
I've taken a few times a care in Brazil, but always around the problem.
I wonder if someone has this machine repair manual or a tutorial of how to disassemble.

I appreciate the attention and help.
Hugs to all
Leandro Wurtz
Old 21-08-16, 06:30

Just saw this thread. Sorry to hear your problem.
I need to know a few more things.
Have you notice when or what is that make the mirror to stuck up, more frequently?
I don't have this particular model but from my own experience, I know that if it is intermittent, it might be something that might be easy fix. If it is always then you surly need a new shutter box.

One thing you should do is to first try to have a very good and reliable battery. So change the battery with a well known brand. Many cameras, specially high end Minoltas can be totally fixed with this simple remedy.

If not fixed, then check with your lens. Is it that if you leave the lens on "Infinity" that the shutter sticks and if it is on near field focus, say 2 or 1 meter, it is free?
If so, its the common problem with "Flange length" that some lenses are too close to the mirror (You see this in today's modern digital cameras, with Full frame camera bodies and some adapted manual lenses).
So use a different lens, especially a long focal length one, say a 135mm or 200mm (Not a zoom). If this fixed the problem, you know what you are dealing with and probably the lens you use, is not made for this particular body.

In any condition, if you have access to ebay, you might find a replacement same model camera at very low 2 digit dollar figure, that should be a lot cheaper than a repair fee. So look around.

Wish you all the best and let us know what happened.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 30-01-24, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytose View Post
This message will be years too late for the poster, but putting this on here in case anyone is online searching for the same problem.

The yashica fx-d's shutter gets stuck at infinity due to the problem mentioned above, but the problem isn't the lens, but the mirror slippage.

Here's the fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsRtaRJQ2I

I did it without the bulb, I just propped the mirror up, heated it and pushed it down, now the shutter fires without having to fiddle with it.

Thanks for the great input and you're right on it for Yashica FX.
YT is a great asset and seems the repair is quite easy if done with care.
But this was a while back and my problem regarding 5D mkII (A rather new camera body for the day that had exact same problem) was due to the large size of the mirror by itself and the shorter flange distance when using some of the older manual lenses that had extra long protruding points on their back bayonette. Thanks to the heavens, the mirrorless era has solved all the problems in that regard.
Again thanks for your input and good link.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Tags
fx-d, manual repair, yashica