WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

PC Upgrade - suggestions

Old 21-07-12, 11:37
Super Moderator

Default PC Upgrade - suggestions

Back in early 2006 I upgraded my pc based on a component list that Nirofo shared in post 15 in this thread using some of my existing components but taking that processor & motherboard as a starting point, and I've since upgraded to 2Gb RAM & and additional 1Tb HD still running XP & SP3

It has served me well but nearly 6 years on that the time has come to move on again so what would anyone's current recommendations be without spending the proverbial arm & leg.

I know all the argument about self build being no cheaper that buying a ready built machine... trouble is, I cant find a ready built machine that has the sort of spec I'm trying to set up. I'm thinking to have the following hardware capabilities: -
  • Core i5 processor
  • SSD SATA 3 for the OS so doesn't need to be too big... 64-80Gb?
  • 4 x 1/2Tb HD running in raid 10

So what would anyone recommend for:
  • motherboard
  • graphic card or are on board graphics ok? I dont do gaming
  • SSD
  • how much RAM 4Gb? 8Gb? 16Gb? brand?
  • Any other considerations?

My main "power" applications are Photoshop (of course), Lightroom (which can be slow using the gradient filters & adjustment brushes) & Video Studio 12 which takes a loooooong time re-rendering even short videos
Old 21-07-12, 22:25

Hi Clive.

I was in a similar position last year, where my aged pc which I built myself could no longer keep up with the tasks I was giving it.

Looked into getting a 27" iMac but thought I'd see if I could build a similar machine for less money. The main reasons for doing this were we're the fact I know windows pretty well and have all the software for that platform. The more obvious one was budget.

I went for the dell xps 8300 with the i5 processor, 6gig of ram, 2 x tb raid drives and a 23" led monitor, I now have purchased a second 23" monitor to have duel screens. This lot came to around £1200 which was about £500 cheaper Than the iMac. This machine is amazing. My workflow is super fast and efficient where as before I spent most of my time tapping my fingers on the desktop waiting.

You can go on the dell website and custom build the spec you want which is helpful.
Old 24-07-12, 08:14

I have to agree
I recently ordered a Dell XPS with i7 processor and 8gb ram
A 17 inch full HD (1080) screen with a TB hard drive ( I tend to use external drives to save, a lesson learned the hard way some time ago)
Cost £999
The PC operates Photoshop CS6 with absolute ease, the screen makes the workflow pop out

I did look at Mac Airbooks etc, but my software is windows based and my own website uses Flash, so I stuck with what I know and what works for me
Old 17-08-12, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme View Post
I have to agree
I recently ordered a Dell XPS with i7 processor and 8gb ram
A 17 inch full HD (1080) screen with a TB hard drive ( I tend to use external drives to save, a lesson learned the hard way some time ago)
Cost £999
The PC operates Photoshop CS6 with absolute ease, the screen makes the workflow pop out

I did look at Mac Airbooks etc, but my software is windows based and my own website uses Flash, so I stuck with what I know and what works for me

'WOW' Dell certainly know how to charge.

nirofo.
Old 17-08-12, 17:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
'WOW' Dell certainly know how to charge.

nirofo.
Not as well as apple. it's disgusting the amount of money they expect for their hardware.

But then you can't blame them, if there are people willing to pay their extortionate prices.