WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Wolfie - Colour Managment investigation

Old 08-01-15, 11:27
Super Moderator

I've just had a look with Chrome & that doesn't display Rob's un-tagged image correctly either...

This leads me to the thought that although we may be using firefox AND have it set up correctly, the vast majority of internet users will not. Therefore when ever the forum resizes an image and removes the tag, the vast majority of users will not see our images as we intended .

It therefore follows that we should upload images so that they are NOT resized. I'm not sure at what point that happens, but I know that with images max 1000px it doesn't but 1100px images are so maybe 1000px is the limit
Old 08-01-15, 12:00

Clive as you are using a top end monitor and saw the difference in Rob's test image, I assume that you were also able to see the difference in my robin photo.

In many cases the problem with oversturation I had was not so obvious on many photos, but occassionally as in the robin it looked very bad, this worried me a little due to the thought that everyone else was seeing this oversaturation.

It's extremely rare that I use IE, but I decided to check out the robin and what do I see, both versions look the same, oversaturated, so I guess anyone using IE will not see my photos as I intended them to be seen.

Could I suggest that everyone now uses only Firefox

Harry
Old 08-01-15, 14:14
Super Moderator

Hi Harry

As I have the firefox gfx.color_management.mode set to 1 both robins look the same. However if I switch back to the default 2, the resized one does look oversaturated.

Even if you could persuade everyone to use firefox, if they use the default settings the resized images will appear over saturated.

Chrome appears to handle the original image correctly, but the resized one is oversaturated.

IE ignores the ICC profiles & oversaturates both.

So my recommendation is that you upload images no bigger than 1000px so that the forum doesn't resize them. That way at least chrome & firefox users will see your images as you intended
Old 08-01-15, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Rob - you say you don't see any difference in your test image with colour management set to 2 - what screen are you using?
On my Work PC running windows 7 with a cheap £100 1920 x 1080 monitor both the tagged and untagged look the same in Firefox, chrome, IE and Safari. I have the 4 major browsers on my machine to check the company website pages.

At home my old CRT monitor became so dim and would not calibrate correctly. My son managed to source an unloved Samsung Multisync 24" 1920 x 1200. It's got a dead pixel and a small mark on the screen but it's served me well for the last couple of years. Can't complain as it was a freebe.

In both cases I just plugged the screen in and let the plug and play do it's thing. Which makes me wonder did you install the driver disk that came with your monitors ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 08-01-15 at 15:39.
Old 08-01-15, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post

So my recommendation is that you upload images no bigger than 1000px so that the forum doesn't resize them. That way at least chrome & firefox users will see your images as you intended
The threshold for resizing is 1025px

The reason why most of my larger posts are 1024 px

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated