WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Today's fun project: High Sierra on 2008 MacBook Pro!

Old 07-07-18, 23:20

Default Today's fun project: High Sierra on 2008 MacBook Pro!

Today's fun project: Installing the latest macOS on an early 2008 17" MacBook Pro!

Officially the MBP topped out at OS X El Capitan (2 OS's ago, not counting the upcoming macOS Mojave). With a simple software hack, you can trick the High Sierra installer to install and run on this and other ancient hardware.

I used the macOS High Sierra Patcher from http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/ to make a bootable USB drive using a 2013 MacBook Air (though I guess I could have done it with the old MBP as well).

After backing up the existing installation "just in case", less than an hour later I had a "modern spec" 2008 computer! Which, BTW, was given to me for free. I had already replaced the old spinning hard drive with an (also) older 120 gig solid state drive; now a larger SSD might be justified depending on what I will use this for (it currently has 100 gigs free, even after installing some useful apps).

The OS hack (as expected) broke the wireless, but a newer wifi card can be installed. And the current 2/2 GB RAM setup can be upgraded to 4/2.

But even in its current state, the computer feels surprisingly fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mbphs.jpg (191.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mbpspecs.jpg (37.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-18, 05:40

PS: I upgraded in place over an El Capitan install, and kept the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatting. APFS was an option, and the post-hack treatment would have been able to address that, but I chose not to push my luck...
Old 27-07-18, 05:31

Is there a way to upgrade the OS on iPads? I have an iPad 3 and so hard to find something useful work on it or too often to get that annoying Error Message that This program won't run on older OS...
I guess there is a reason that I mostly buy Win or Android base devices. But if you know a way, please share.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 28-07-18, 07:07

Sassan, it seems that hardware limitations prevent older iPads from updating iOS to newer versions. Laptops seem to have a bit more flexibility.

As for Windows-based tablets (I never used one), how far back can you go with mobile hardware and still install Windows 10?